The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about lidocaine and it seems to be the ingredient to look for but there are mixed reviews on it's affectivness...it's also pretty expensive for a gamble. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a product that works well or if this is even the ingredient I should be looking for.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got some burn relief cream that has 5% of Lidocaine in it and it doesn't work... I made an appointment with my doctor to get EMLA. Hopefully that works. Thanks!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The OTC creams like Lanacane use 20% benzocaine, and it does work, but not for very long. Lidocaine is more apt to be found in prescription meds, since it's stronger, penetrates deeper, and for those reasons needs to be used with extra caution.

EMLA is still lidocaine, in combination with prilocaine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lanocane sounds good at least for now. I can check with my doctor to see if the stronger stuff is for me or not. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I have been reading about lidocaine and it seems to be the ingredient to look for but there are mixed reviews on it's affectivness...it's also pretty expensive for a gamble. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a product that works well or if this is even the ingredient I should be looking for.
Thanks guys!
I think it depends on what you are trying to "numb" and why.
Pain is a signal that something is wrong, so you need to make sure you aren't ignoring an underlying problem that needs to be treated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to lessen the pain before my injections. I have a really hard time every night just getting the stupid thing. Last night it hurt so bad when my husband gave it to me... It left a little blood blister. I just want to make it as easy as possible.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Y'know what? Maybe a cream/ointment isn't the best choice for that. A little spritz of an analgesic spray might do the job better - I keep Solarcaine or Lanacane spray on hand & those are disinfectant as well as the 20% benzocaine anesthetic. There's less change of contamination with a spray too. One can lasts a long time.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I just want to lessen the pain before my injections. I have a really hard time every night just getting the stupid thing. Last night it hurt so bad when my husband gave it to me... It left a little blood blister. I just want to make it as easy as possible.
Are you referring to Insulin injections?
I inject 4 times a day into my abdomen never even feel a thing - no pain at all.

Where are you injecting?
And what size are your needles?

Something is wrong with your technique if it is leaving a blood blister. Give me more details and I'll try to help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Y'know what? Maybe a cream/ointment isn't the best choice for that. A little spritz of an analgesic spray might do the job better - I keep Solarcaine or Lanacane spray on hand & those are disinfectant as well as the 20% benzocaine anesthetic. There's less change of contamination with a spray too. One can lasts a long time.
This sounds a lot better. Can I get the OTC? It would be nice to not need a prescription. Something to take the worst of the pain off huh?

Are you referring to Insulin injections?
I inject 4 times a day into my abdomen never even feel a thing - no pain at all.

Where are you injecting?
And what size are your needles?

Something is wrong with your technique if it is leaving a blood blister. Give me more details and I'll try to help.
My husband gives me my injections. I am still in the honeymoon phase so I only need 11 units of Lantus a night. I use the lantus solostar and the nano 3mm needles. My doctor said I need to rotate where I give it so I do my butt and tummy. I used to do my arm but we are trying by butt cause there's more fat there. I might have more success if I was injecting myself but I'm still way too freaked out.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, these are OTC sprays - marketed for sunburn etc., and I think there are prob'ly more brands too. Just check the ingredients for 20% benzocaine. I know of Solarcaine, Americaine, Lanacane, Dermoplast . . .

There is also Bactine spray which used lidocaine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts