The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to the forum but was diagnosed with T2 about 6 years ago. I read a lot in the beginning to try and inform myself but seem to go in and out of phases where I pay attention and do what I need to (test, limit carbs, exercise, take my meds). Lately, I've been in a 'bad phase'.... I've joined the forum to try and get myself motivated to take care again - - and have come to realize what I read years ago was only scratching the surface. Its so confusing!! What I'm trying to follow (at the moment) is BS spikes. My doctor said to test two hours after eating, at if it was below 10 that I was going in the right direction. But people on the forum talk about much tighter control than that, and the harm of high spikes (I've measure mine at times when it was as high as 18). And is there some math calc conversation when people talk about US readings? My HBA1c was 7.8 my last visit. I don't know how people have readings around 5 without having lots of horrible lows! Appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi
I'm new to the forum but was diagnosed with T2 about 6 years ago. I read a lot in the beginning to try and inform myself but seem to go in and out of phases where I pay attention and do what I need to (test, limit carbs, exercise, take my meds). Lately, I've been in a 'bad phase'.... I've joined the forum to try and get myself motivated to take care again - - and have come to realize what I read years ago was only scratching the surface. Its so confusing!! What I'm trying to follow (at the moment) is BS spikes. My doctor said to test two hours after eating, at if it was below 10 that I was going in the right direction. But people on the forum talk about much tighter control than that, and the harm of high spikes (I've measure mine at times when it was as high as 18). And is there some math calc conversation when people talk about US readings? My HBA1c was 7.8 my last visit. I don't know how people have readings around 5 without having lots of horrible lows! Appreciate any advice!
Hello and welcome to the forum! I hope we can try and help you get back on track for good. Diabetes can be so confusing, you are right about that. In the USA we measure our blood glucose in whole numbers. To convert, simply multiply your reading X 18. So when you say your doctor says that if you are below 10 (10 X 18=180) or 180 then you are headed in the right direction. According to some diabetes associations, 180 is the number that they have come up with to say that everything is OK if you are at 180 at 2 hour post meal. There are other respected organizations and individuals who say that 140 is a safer range to shoot for. There is proof that organ damage starts when the body's glucose is above 140. We have many members who have A1C's in the 5 range (myself included), most are trying to achieve tight control and it can be done without a slew of lows. Thanks for joining us and visit often and take care.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - - that helps!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Your body is used to high BG numbers so it feels"terrible" even when your BG is high but lower than its been.

As you body gets used to lower number the point that you fell terrible also lowers. until you can have normal BG and feel fine.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Elle. We also talk about that tighter control and the danger of spiking too high. I think your doctor is using very loose guidelines and I'm not sure why. As Breeze has mentioned, the evidence shows that blood sugars over 7.7 (140) are causing organ damage, which means that every time it happens and the longer it remains over 7.7, our vision, kidney function, cardiac and circulatory systems are being compromised little by little.

You're already taking responsibility just by joining here and telling us about it. We all fall into the doldrums sometimes and we just have to crawl back out, dust ourselves off and start all over again. Having a support team like this one makes it so much easier! So take care and visit often . . . we'll do all we can to help you find your missing motivation! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Elle, Shanny has laid it out very well. We do worry about highs and lows. Many of us that are able use exercise to assist in helping reduce out amount of medications and to bring our blood glucose levels down after eating.

To assist our exercise, many do reduce our carbohydrate count to also keep our blood glucose levels in the lower ranges.

Good luck and keep a positive attitude.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts