The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recipe for vanilla ice cream that uses whole eggs, not just the yolks? I know some people make ice cream without cooking the eggs first, but I don't want to risk it, and none of the stores within driving distance has pasturized eggs, so I'd like a recipe where you cook the eggs and whatever, then put it in the fridge to cool before putting it in the ice cream maker.

I just finished looking on the web for a couple of tiring hours, and the only similar recipes I found either had cornstarch, flour or Eagle brand milk in them, so it was a fruitless search.

I remember many years ago at 4th of July picnics someone would cook up the egg mixture, I think they called it custard, then the guys would take turns hand churning it. The eggs made a rich, wonderful ice cream.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect! Thanks, Shanny. We can always count on you to pull recipes out of your hat when we need them. :first:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've made a heap of different ice creams...some art better than others...

Most French ice cream recipes have an egg custard base...what I would do if you want to use whole eggs and cook them is to make a stove top egg custard...dilute you cream (for the custard) 1 part cream to one part water (consistency of milk) add sweetener...once you cool the custard in the fridge (or flash cooling in a tub of icy cold water) then...

4 cups of cooled egg custard
2 cups of whipped cream
flavouring

whip the cream and add flavourings...fold through the egg custard mixture and either put into an ice cream machine or...what I do as Im slack lol...put it into cup sized containers and freeze...I let it stand for 10 minutes before eating and it defrosts enough to be creamy....

I like vanila bean flavour so that's all I use...we can get vanilla bean paste here and that's what I use...but any of the sugar free syrups would work...even maple would be yummy

hope this helps

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've made a heap of different ice creams...some art better than others...

Most French ice cream recipes have an egg custard base...what I would do if you want to use whole eggs and cook them is to make a stove top egg custard...dilute you cream (for the custard) 1 part cream to one part water (consistency of milk) add sweetener...once you cool the custard in the fridge (or flash cooling in a tub of icy cold water) then...

4 cups of cooled egg custard
2 cups of whipped cream
flavouring

whip the cream and add flavourings...fold through the egg custard mixture and either put into an ice cream machine or...what I do as Im slack lol...put it into cup sized containers and freeze...I let it stand for 10 minutes before eating and it defrosts enough to be creamy....

I like vanila bean flavour so that's all I use...we can get vanilla bean paste here and that's what I use...but any of the sugar free syrups would work...even maple would be yummy

hope this helps
Those are some great tips. Thanks, d33na.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's only because I've been moderating cooking/recipe boards since the late 90s! lol! :eek:
In that case, I'll tell ya about the other recipe I've been searching for. I would like to use a pkg. of sugar free jello and some whipping cream whipped together to make something that is smooth and tastes great. Since I didn't find a recipe online that would work for me, I thought about making jello, letting it set up, then whipping it with whipping cream, but I think that might end up with hunks of jello, not smooth. So I thought about beating a dry pkg. of jello and some whipping cream, but I doubt if the jello would dissolve, which would make it grainy.

We don't eat any fruit, so when we want something sweet, we turn to jello, but we're getting kind of sick of the same old same old.

·
Registered
741 Posts
my pleasure...I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee cooking lol

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think the ones I've seen don't let the jello set completely - just until it begins to thicken a little, and then fold in the whipped cream. Lemme go hunting here - see if I can find a real recipe.

In that case, I'll tell ya about the other recipe I've been searching for. I would like to use a pkg. of sugar free jello and some whipping cream whipped together to make something that is smooth and tastes great. Since I didn't find a recipe online that would work for me, I thought about making jello, letting it set up, then whipping it with whipping cream, but I think that might end up with hunks of jello, not smooth. So I thought about beating a dry pkg. of jello and some whipping cream, but I doubt if the jello would dissolve, which would make it grainy.

We don't eat any fruit, so when we want something sweet, we turn to jello, but we're getting kind of sick of the same old same old.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think the ones I've seen don't let the jello set completely - just until it begins to thicken a little, and then fold in the whipped cream. Lemme go hunting here - see if I can find a real recipe.
Shoot - maybe they don't even let it thicken . . . Cooks.com - Recipe - Jello Dream Whip Salad Mold

[I gotta get to bed - we have a wedding to go to tomorrow so I can't sleep 'til noon! =( ]

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'll do the thing where you use ice instead of the second cup of water when you make jello. That way it will be cool enough to beat with the whipping cream, but won't be set at all. Thanks for giving me the idea, Shanny. Have a nice time at the wedding.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Okay, for what it's worth, this is good!

I'd been thinking of custard ice cream myself for about a week, so I looked around for how to best do it and came up with this and it's killer!

I heated 2 c. heavy cream with 1/2 c. of water for 5 minutes in the microwave in a large measuring cup...or, until it is foaming and smells like custard depending on your microwave this may vary.

Took another big cup and broke 3 eggs in it, added 1/2 t vanilla, but spilled a bit, so it was a bit more, to eggs, added 6 T. eryth. and 1/2 t Truvia and whipped it til really well mixed with my immersion blender (which has lately gotten to be a very good friend), then took the very hot cream and poured it in a thin stream until it was hot well mixed and cooled it first in a sink of cold water then for a couple of hours in the 'fridge prior to freezing in my Cuisinart ice cream maker...

The eggs tasted cooked, by the way. I'm not scared of raw eggs, but I wanted the cooked taste in the custard, so I tasted them at the end.

Really, really good!

Hope this helps,

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Pat - I'm so trying that ^^^^ !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts