The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

In all of the reading I've done since being diagnosed; I've read from a few sources that Bilberrys are good for your vision.

I spent a few months searching for BIlberries; and other names they go by such as Whortleberry, European Blueberry, and Huckleberry.
But I was never able to find then in any stores here in the U.S..

So I decided to try a BIlberry extract supplement; a 1000mg tablet.

I started taking this 2x daily a few days ago.
But I was surprised that it also appeared to lower by BG.

So I did a little investigation via internet searches. And I found a few articles that talk about Bilberry lowering BG's.
But I could not find how Bilberry does this.
Some articles hinted that Bilberry improves your insulin sensitivity.
And other articles hint that Bilberry causes your pancreas to produce more insulin.

The second choice sounds like how Glyburide ond other sulfonylureas work.
Which is essentially putting your pancreas in overdrive; and causing it's destruction to accelerate.
Which I do NOT want to occur.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy Bilberries here in the U.S. ?
And does anyone know how Bilberry works or where I could find some accurate information on it ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
930 Posts
BIlberry capillary

google BIlberry capillary if you have not already, i use it to try to reverse some neuropathy

Hello,

In all of the reading I've done since being diagnosed; I've read from a few sources that Bilberrys are good for your vision.

I spent a few months searching for BIlberries; and other names they go by such as Whortleberry, European Blueberry, and Huckleberry.
But I was never able to find then in any stores here in the U.S..

So I decided to try a BIlberry extract supplement; a 1000mg tablet.

I started taking this 2x daily a few days ago.
But I was surprised that it also appeared to lower by BG.

So I did a little investigation via internet searches. And I found a few articles that talk about Bilberry lowering BG's.
But I could not find how Bilberry does this.
Some articles hinted that Bilberry improves your insulin sensitivity.
And other articles hint that Bilberry causes your pancreas to produce more insulin.

The second choice sounds like how Glyburide ond other sulfonylureas work.
Which is essentially putting your pancreas in overdrive; and causing it's destruction to accelerate.
Which I do NOT want to occur.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy Bilberries here in the U.S. ?
And does anyone know how Bilberry works or where I could find some accurate information on it ?

Thanks;
--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'd never heard of it, ET, until you posted this. But yesterday I saw the bilberry supplements in my little local pharmacy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts