The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello world!

I was diagnosed as a T2 in December 2010. Over the past few months I have finally gotten a handle on how to keep my BG under control using diet alone. We'll see what tricks I'll have to bust out years from now but it's working now which makes me happy. :D

I am just looking for new ideas about how others deal with diabetes and their health in general. Ever since being diagnosed I feel like a sponge just soaking up information on all sorts of health topics. I like to keep and open mind and am constantly on the look out for new good nuggets of information.

Thanks for having me here, I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

Daytona
6/2011 - 5.5
4/2011 - 5.6
3/2011 - 7.1
12/2010 - 10.7
28 years old
Newbie Ketogenic Diet
T2D + Stage IV Endometriosis + Liver Disease

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hey Daytona - welcome to the forum.

I say selfishly - you've come to the exact right place, because someone who wants nuggets and stores 'em like nuts, has some to offer too. :)

Congrats on managing with diet alone, your numbers and progress are awesome!

Very glad you're here.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I am also managing my diabetes (and Mr. Gizmo's) with diet alone. And I am also in Illinois, born and raised. My folks lived in Elgin and about 10 yrs. ago Mr. Gizmo was stationed at the Naval Air Station in Great Lakes.

I know that when it comes to diabetes, a lot of information 'out there' is either false or conflicting, and some of the diabetes research they do is just plain crazy. If you want to sponge up more information about Diabetes, the most reliable info. I know of, based on the best research (people, not rats or mice) is Blood Sugar 101 and it isn't one of those technical sites, the info. is easy to understand.

Glad you decided to hang out with us. Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I grew up in Elgin! :)

I just discovered blood sugar 101, it looks like a great site. I do try to read the more technical explanations and articles but honestly there's a limit to how much I understand without an expert to break things down in layman's terms.

Sometimes I feel like I need a stronger background in chemistry and biology to really grasp the significance of some scientific articles and abstracts. But overall I feel like I'm starting to build up a framework of general understanding and am learning to apply a "bad science" filter to what I read. It's frustrating and sad how many published articles try to make conclusions that can't be made based on the research done. :confused:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Daytona and welcome...*nods* I know what you mean about a better understand of science...me too!!!!!!! But you'll find many people here that can break it down for you

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi Daytona and welcome to this exclusive club! I know what you mean about gathering in all that information. I think we all, to some extent, go through a period of information gathering when we are first diagnosed. In some ways, I think it's a way of dealing with the shock of the diagnosis. We try to find a way to divert our minds away from the news and towards something productive. I also think we are a little naive and think that we ca somehow find some info out there that says "Hey no, they must be wrong...you don't have diabetes".

I have been reading and reading and reading since my diagnosis at the end of March and I still know very little.

I don't mean to add more scientificity (<---look, I invented another new word :D ) to your life, I do think that the following video helped me a lot in the beginning, especially in understanding about different sugars and their effects even if the main culprit in the video is fructose.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mean to add more scientificity (<---look, I invented another new word :D ) to your life, I do think that the following video helped me a lot in the beginning, especially in understanding about different sugars and their effects even if the main culprit in the video is fructose.
"scientificity"! :D I love it. That is a great video and previously I had read an article by Taubes about fructose which echoed many of the same points. I think that most people have no idea how fructose is metabolized and consider it to be healthy. For someone like me with liver damage, nothing could be worse (short of alcohol I guess).

I still have a hard time understanding how it can be so bad for some people and yet others seem to eat tons of fruit and sugar with no ill effect. There must be some other protective mechanisms otherwise everyone would have fatty liver. Though I have read that 1/3 (?) of the population has it and since there are usually no symptoms, they just don't know it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am also a low carber but also need metformin to keep bgs close to 100 during the day. My tricks are not to let my bgs creep above 120 so I keep pretty tight control most of the day. Bgs in the morning tend to be the highest from DP. But I am working on it. One of the things I have learned in almost 5 years of diabetes is that we are all different. I am very carb sensitive and have to really restrict carbs, some don't because they may have more pancreatic function left than I do. That why we each need to Eat to our Meters to get the best control. Glad you found us.

ps When I read scientific journals and articles I have to speed read over the parts I don't understand. That is why I like Jenny Ruhl on BS 101. She does the reading for me.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the things I have learned in almost 5 years of diabetes is that we are all different. I am very carb sensitive and have to really restrict carbs, some don't because they may have more pancreatic function left than I do. That why we each need to Eat to our Meters to get the best control.
Every few weeks I kid myself into thinking I have more pancreas function than I really do. I splurge on something that other people seem to get away with and end up paying for it for days with bad morning numbers. :D

At this point I think I can make just enough insulin to not be dependent but not enough where I can relax and not be measuring every gram of carbs and protein. I am still hoping that one day I'll be less insulin resistant and find out that I make more than I think. :p

ps. glad to see you here jwags!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello, Daytona. I'm new to this forum board, but I'm not new to diabetes. I've "officially" had T2 since 10/10/2009, but have suspected it since 2006. did diet and exercise only until 2009, when the year of stress and medical procedures from Hades began for my mom. The stress of managing all her stuff for surgeries got to me and I fell off the wagon (more like jumped off feet first). I ended up in the ER after passing out a work on 10/10/2009. When I came to I had an IV in and they were pushing insulin in it. Had sugar coiunt of over 700 and a raging UTI. Spent 3 days in hospital and every day since then learning all I can. I'm doing a lower carb, lots of veggies and good fruits, whole grains, and lots of non-red meat protein sources. I do novolog 70/30 mix 28U 2xd, metformin 1000mg 2xd, and lisinopril, tricor, and simvastatin 1xd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts