The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since being diagnosed, I have been having increasing problems with finding shoes that don't hurt my feet. I have some neuropathy in my feet that I need to address. I have read many articles regarding shoes for diabetics, and then I thought I should just ask everyone here to get their input on what type of runners that you think are good shoes. I currently have a pair of Nikes, but they are on their last "foot" so to speak...lol

I appreciate any input you could give me. Thank you :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Newf? I don't have any suggestions - I wear Crocs all the time & for a sport shoe I have a pair of barely-used Asics - but this reminded me that in the beginning I was quite taken with the FiveFingers sport shoes. Anyone else ever try those?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Crocs as well, but even those I find aren't supportive enough. I work in a doctors office, and I am constantly on the go most of the day. I bought a pair of Asics as well, and found them to hurt my feet so much so after awhile that I couldn't wear them either.

I saw those five toe shoes the other day for the first time. They look neat. I was told they are for rock climbing. I don't know how well they would work for people with diabetic neuropathy, but they sure are fun to look at.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the link:) I will check it out for sure

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the Fila 5 toe shoes and wore them most of the summer...they were great for the beach and they didn't really bother my feet at all...most shoes make my feet hurt... The best shoes I own are my Justin boots

·
Registered
633 Posts
newf said:
I have Crocs as well, but even those I find aren't supportive enough. I work in a doctors office, and I am constantly on the go most of the day. I bought a pair of Asics as well, and found them to hurt my feet so much so after awhile that I couldn't wear them either.

I saw those five toe shoes the other day for the first time. They look neat. I was told they are for rock climbing. I don't know how well they would work for people with diabetic neuropathy, but they sure are fun to look at.
I am surprised that you don't wear Dansko's. I bought a pair and really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! I have never heard of those shoes, but I am sure going to check them out now. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Most high end shoe stores carry them. They are pricey though.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been searching for a new pair of shoes also. I'm glad the original poster brought up this subject. Thanks to newf and each of you that have answered the post. This summer I just bought my first pair of crocs and loved them. I never heard of Dansko's but intend to try and find them in my area.

IMHO a good pair of shoes, even if they are pricey, is essential. My Dad used to tell me "if your feet hurt - you will hurt all over".

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will see how much they sell them on Zappo.com. They seem to have shoes much cheaper than in the stores. What I do is go to the store, find the right size etc. then order them online.

·
Registered
782 Posts
DD #1 is a doctor, so on her feet all the time, and wears Danskos or Merrells. I swear by Earth shoes -- more comfortable even than going barefoot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you for the information :) I have looked at the Danskos. They are a little pricey, but I don't mind paying that if they are as good as everyone says. I use to have earth shoes back in the day when they first came out. I didn't even know they still made them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts