The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I'm not here because I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I actually have PCOS (I know-- we have our own forums-- they're not helping me!) and I'm hoping the community here might be able to pick up what I feel my Dr. may be missing. I'll get right to it. Here are my lab results:

Fasting Glucose: 92
Fasting Insulin: 16.5

My Dr. (I'm going through an Gyn. because of the PCOS) insists that these results are normal and that I am not insulin resistant. When I tried explaining to her that what I'm reading suggests that any fasting insulin level over 10 suggests resistance, she tried explaining the glucose/insulin ratio to me, but didn't seem very sure of herself. I downloaded the HOMA calculator (which does(?) provide the ratio... having a hard time figuring out if that last number is the G/I ratio) and the result is 2.1. Having a hard time discovering if that is normal.

It might also be worthwhile to add that I was already taking 1000mg of Metformin per day at the time I took the test, which "should have no bearing" on the results according to her.

I am so confused and just want to know if I am IR or not. I'm having a very hard time trusting my Dr. on this one-- especially since she's telling me to stay on 1500mg of Metformin even though my labs are 'normal'

Any advice from someone who's been through it?
Thanks,
M

1 - 2 of 2 Posts