The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am Hannah and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 10 months ago. It wasn't that scary at first as I thought that I could cope with it in my dairy life, also coping with my 2 small children aged 3 and 4 years and my career.

About 6 weeks after i found out I hit rock bottom and went into denial. I didnt want to deal with the diabetes and turned a blind eye to it.... My sugars went over 33.9 and i collapsed in the house with my children with me. It was then i decided to take it seriously.

Unfortunately, the consultant doesn't help me much, nor does the diabetes nurse and have had to try figure out how much insulin to take myself.

To this day now I still dont have any help and support form anyone and am having to deal with this on my own.

Wether i eat or not eat my sugars become very high. Im at the moment taking a full cartridge of humilin s insulin and am also on a background insulin called humilin I. I also takje a whole cartridge of this every day. At first i did get hypos as my sugars were dropping very fast form high to low but now im used to taking such a large amount that my sugars are still quite hight as expected but have worried taking anymore insulin that i already take.

I also have other serious medical conditions that have developed since having diabetes that will never go away. i feel frustrated with all the medications and no help and support. i am here to listen to other people experiences with diabetes and als make new friends on here to share mine.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Hannah, welcome to Diabetes Forums! The Humulin insulin you are using is not nearly as good as the more modern insulins. I used to use Humulin and I had poor control like you are experiencing. I hope your doctor will let you use Lantus and Humalog, or Levemir and Novolog instead. Those are insulins that will make your blood sugar levels much easier to control. I use "carb counting" for optimal control. I count the number of carbohydrates that are in each meal or snack and then I know how much fast acting insulin to inject before each meal. It is difficult in the UK to find a doctor or nurse who approves of carb counting. I post on a UK diabetes site and I know the problems there. Here in the states carb counting and more modern insulins are recommended by doctors. There is a course called "DAFNE" offered in the UK that will teach you all about carb counting. Look it up on your computer and also research carb counting and see how it works. Good luck to you!

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts