The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:
I need to prepare my insulin for staying cool. I know for a fact my power will go out. For how long don't know.
Ice does not last that long. Those frozen ice packs don't last long.

I am sorry to not know what to do about this. I was thrown under the bus for not knowing what to do on that other forum.

I have lanterns now with back up batteries. Water. Canned food that I hate to eat. Tuna is OK. I don' t know what to fix to eat low carb. I won' t be able to cook. It is going to be HOT as all get out. :(

Oh its so much fun living in the South :censored::Cry:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I might be a little late with this advice, but I have a FRIO cooler set that holds my 'working insulin'. Here is a URL to it insulin cooling travel case | Frio Insulin Cooling Case Have had mine for several years and it seems to have worked well, never any problem.
Another option might be a lunch cooler with dry ice. Just insulate between the dry ice and insulin boxes so the insulin won't freeze. While I am in a metro area, we live in the county and seem to be the last ones to get power back after a storm :eek:
I've found a small generator of great value! Won't run the whole house but will charge cell phones, (twice daily) keep the deep freeze frozen and about every 4 hours cool the fridge. Running a small generator 24/7 is unwise, they are not built for continuous use. AND be careful with the potential CO2 emissions :(
Good Luck with Irene!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you expect to be without power for more than a week? As I understand it, insulin will keep 30 days after opening? Worst case, a cooler with an ice pack should do the trick. If you can get yourself near a running stream of water, an old camping trick is to fillup your bottle and keep it in the cooler. It may not be "cold" but should keep things around 10 deg Celsius...

Good luck, and please, take care!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Our kids gave us a generator several years ago & it's worth it's weight in gold. That's my best advice too, because no telling how long your power might be out. We're like Larry - out in the boondocks & usually last to get back on the grid. But we've been out for as long as nine days & the generator kept things humming. (ours IS a large one, because it needs to run the well pump or we can't even flush toilets. But there are many sizes/many prices, so you could get one just big enough to keep the refrigerator going, if that were your choice.)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol I am in panic mode. This will pass I am sure. I did just realize my pen is good for 28days. If it gets to hot for it I will use the cooler to cool it. I can only hope my power will be off very briefly. Not like Hugo :eek: What a nightmare that was.

I got some of those touch tap lights. Wish they would cook too :D

I have only just recently been put on insulin so I haven't got my head wrapped around it yet.

thanks guys..:hug:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do think being prepared is the best idea. You can get one of those propane camp stoves or use a gas grill to cook if power goes out. As far as the insulin you just have to keep the unopened ones cool. I have heard good things about the Frio cold packs. I think you just run them under water to reactivate the cold. Besides that you just do the best you can. If you don't open fridge it should stay cold for a day or two. I often freeze milk jugs of water in the freezer so if that happens I will tranfer it to the fridge to keep things cold. Of course a generator is the best way to deal with loss of power. One of our neighbors has one and I am so jealous. We are sitting in the dark and you can see his TV on. Hopefully the storm goes out to sea.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
One of our neighbors has one and I am so jealous. We are sitting in the dark and you can see his TV on.
Isn't that funny - it never occurred to us to have the tv running off the generator . . . I was so focused on getting the well pump running that I said don't even attach the kitchen range - I can cook on the woodstove. So that's what we did - well pump, water heater, refrigerator. :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would not panic over Irene just yet. Definitely time to prepare and get all your supplies ready so that when the time comes you're prepared and don't need to panic.

The 5 day track can be notoriously inaccurate. Over the last 2 days the 5 day track has gone from the middle of FL to the middle of the SC coast. Wait until Wed or so for a slightly more accurate prediction of where Irene will go.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would not panic over Irene just yet. Definitely time to prepare and get all your supplies ready so that when the time comes you're prepared and don't need to panic.

The 5 day track can be notoriously inaccurate. Over the last 2 days the 5 day track has gone from the middle of FL to the middle of the SC coast. Wait until Wed or so for a slightly more accurate prediction of where Irene will go.
I think Carolina might be in slightly better conditions, but where I am is now right in the direct path of Irene, and I am not looking forward to it. Going to a hotel that my mom works at tomorrow, so we are not trapped in our sub-division where the road in and out floods at the drop of a hat. I'll have my laptop with me so as long as power and internet stays on at the hotel I'll be all right.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's hoping Irene decides to veer out into the Atlantic :rapture:

Wishing well for everyone on the east coast. Keep those cell phones charged!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts