The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good ideas about how to get rid of itching from bug bites? I have no clue what's been low-carbing on my legs, but I've got six giant welts that are itchin' the life outta me! They look similar to mosquito bites, but I've had them now over 24 hours so I'm not sure if that's what they are.

I've tried all the wacky home remedies (deodorant, vinegar, etc.) and right now I've got peppermint toothpaste on my legs. Seems to be a bit of a relief, but still very itchy and painful! Any ideas how to get these to go away?:Cry:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rosie I know all to well :(
In my case it is the skeeter bites, on my arms. Something has changed this year as I used to not be troubled by the pesky critters.
My main (temporary ~5 hours) is a pseudoephedrine tablet (allergy/decongestant) Mine are really troublesome for ~48 hours after getting bitten. Have started wearing long sleeved shirt to work outdoors :violin: and that gets HOT quick... Hadn't had good luck with some of the 'bug off' sprays.
Some outdoor stores have a "sting ease" that provides quick but limited duration relief. Good luck!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rosie I know all to well :(
In my case it is the skeeter bites, on my arms. Something has changed this year as I used to not be troubled by the pesky critters.
My main (temporary ~5 hours) is a pseudoephedrine tablet (allergy/decongestant) Mine are really troublesome for ~48 hours after getting bitten. Have started wearing long sleeved shirt to work outdoors :violin: and that gets HOT quick... Hadn't had good luck with some of the 'bug off' sprays.
Some outdoor stores have a "sting ease" that provides quick but limited duration relief. Good luck!
You know, the toothpaste seems to be working best. Last time I had this the welts and itching lasted a good 4-5 days, even with the toothpaste, but at least it let me sleep at night. I don't think I have much choice but to smell like Colgate for the next week!:D

PS: Bugs are jerks. :mad:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Bug bites are my all-time nemesis . . . I don't even go outdoors if I don't have to. I have a bit of an allergy, I think, because it takes 10-14 days for mine to heal up. I often wind up covering them with spot bandaids to keep from scratching them raw.

I can get enough relief to fall asleep by spraying with benzocaine sprays (Solarcaine, Lanacane, Americaine - anything containing 20% benzocaine).

Out here it's apt to be chiggers, because our little bat colony keeps the mosquito population pretty well in check. But heaven help me if I get a tick - those take forever to heal.

Needless to say, I HATES BUGS! :mad:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bug bites are my all-time nemesis . . . I don't even go outdoors if I don't have to. I have a bit of an allergy, I think, because it takes 10-14 days for mine to heal up. I often wind up covering them with spot bandaids to keep from scratching them raw.

I can get enough relief to fall asleep by spraying with benzocaine sprays (Solarcaine, Lanacane, Americaine - anything containing 20% benzocaine).

Out here it's apt to be chiggers, because our little bat colony keeps the mosquito population pretty well in check. But heaven help me if I get a tick - those take forever to heal.

Needless to say, I HATES BUGS! :mad:

Shanny, I think you're right. I just googled all things chiggers and that's what it's looking like got me. I think I will take your suggestions tomorrow and pick up some repellent and band aids. Right now, the Colgate is helping a LOT!

·
Registered
633 Posts
You know the powdered meat tenderizer that is used to sosten up tuff cuts of meat. Make a paste out it with a little water and dab it on the botes. It will take all the itch away.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I used to get a lot of chiggers as a kid, and we put fingernail polish on them. Suffocates 'em. They are disgusting.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chiggers first I have heard of them - don't think we get them north of 49
Lucky you!! I remember one of the best things about living in Oregon was I barely saw nary as much as a spider for five years. Now I'm back on the awful East Coast and it's heat and bugs EVERYWHERE! I have no idea how people in Florida deal with this on a daily basis....:confused:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Boy, do chiggers bring back memories. We didn't have them on the East Coast in NY but when we visited my grandparents in Oklahoma we would go out and pick cotton, in our shorts. I always wondered why grandpa always wore long shirts and long overalls. Well after a day picking cotton , I knew , CHIGGERS. I was covered with bites. We do a lot of hiking in a lot of buggy places. I always spray with some kind of bug repellent first and try to cover as many places as possible with high socks, long shirts, etc. If I get bites I usually use a Cortisone, itch cream. Some people take something like Benadryal or something similar . If the redness doesn't go away you might want to get it checked out. In many areas now Lyme disease is becoming prevalent.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boy, do chiggers bring back memories. We didn't have them on the East Coast in NY but when we visited my grandparents in Oklahoma we would go out and pick cotton, in our shorts. I always wondered why grandpa always wore long shirts and long overalls. Well after a day picking cotton , I knew , CHIGGERS. I was covered with bites. We do a lot of hiking in a lot of buggy places. I always spray with some kind of bug repellent first and try to cover as many places as possible with high socks, long shirts, etc. If I get bites I usually use a Cortisone, itch cream. Some people take something like Benadryal or something similar . If the redness doesn't go away you might want to get it checked out. In many areas now Lyme disease is becoming prevalent.
I was actually planning to move to Florida to be near the ocean. Not now!! I couldn't take bug bites all year round. There's an ocean out West, too, and I'm gonna find it! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Before I moved to the coast, I lived inland a bit in a redwood forest. Loved it, but the skeeters were awful in the summer, the spiders prolific all year 'round. Now at the ocean, I can leave the sliding screen doors open and not so much as a fly comes in. It's odd having no bugs or flies - and I don't know why. Guess they don't like the ocean breezes or something ...

I can recommend our bug-free weather to you Rosie!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before I moved to the coast, I lived inland a bit in a redwood forest. Loved it, but the skeeters were awful in the summer, the spiders prolific all year 'round. Now at the ocean, I can leave the sliding screen doors open and not so much as a fly comes in. It's odd having no bugs or flies - and I don't know why. Guess they don't like the ocean breezes or something ...

I can recommend our bug-free weather to you Rosie!
I'm already making my plans to move to San Diego - it'll be soooooo nice to get back out West! :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
You can have southern California, home oe of wild fires and mud slides. No thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts