The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the grocery store. :) I spent 2 1/2 hours shopping and comparing the labels, I do have "The Calorie King" and need to carry it with me, so I don't have to pick up each box, can, container to read.

I did find that Nabisco's Sociables are only 9g of total carbs in 5 crackers...then pictured on the back was "Sociables & Philadelphia a snack made in Heaven". I didn't get the cream cheese, but I will today.

I did look at bagels and nearly fell on the floor...something like 86g in 1 bagel or was it 1 slice?

I did buy BUTTER! On sale Whipped grabbed 2 of the unsalted, and then got the sticks (salted)

Picked up some spinach & artichoke dips.

Needles to say I couldn't find the Ritz Crackerfuls 17g in 1 package...why is it when you find something you like, and the next time it's not available?

Stocked up on pork chops, chicken breasts, lean ground sirloin...Winn Dixie had "buy 1, get 1 free" sale on meats...that was a bargain.

Other good deal was salad mixs, buy and get the ready cooked chicken breast strips free.

Chobani Greek Yogurt was on sale too..2 for $4...the packages of 4 each and the carbs were only 14g. Something I noticed with Greek Yogurt, I do not believe it has the live cultures...I have to do a google seach.

I bought 4 bags of pork rinds...0g :eek:

They do have Bob's Redmill products, but not the Almond flour, couldn't find coconut oil either.

The lowest carbs for 2 slices of bread was the Wondra "Smart Wheat" with 17g and Rye was 15g in 1 slice.

Got the ingredients to make peanut butter cookies. I pondered over the big bag of baking Splenda for $8+ or the WD brand for $6+. Got the smaller container of Splenda.

WD also has the "Fuel Perks" for what I spent in groceries, I'm able to purchase Shell gas @ .45 a gal.

Y'all have a great day!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I know what you mean, but it does get easier. I know what products to avoid. I now avoid anything in a package or box. Any kind of cracker is made from wheat and will spike you. The only one that is a little better is WASA Rye crackers. I also found if there are more than 2 or 3 things in the ingredient , I put it back. Keep it simple. Real meat, real cheese, real eggs, real veggies. Most of the time I totally avoid the middle aisles. Be very careful with the yogurt most yogurt has artificial ingrdients and additives. There are some plain greek yogurts that have 7-9 carbs a serving, but even some of those will spike me especially in the morning. Trader Joes has their own brand which is good, but I can only tolerate 2-3 oz at a time. As far as the other ingredients buy them online, that is what most of us do. I use Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! They have a flat $4.99 shipping fee, so I wait until I have a huge order. They sell all the Walden Farms 0 carb jams, syrups, BBQ sauce,ketchup and chocolate and caramel dips. They also have almond meal, flaxseed meal, coconut flour, erythitiol, xyititol, stevia and liquid versions of stevia and splenda. They also have the DaVinci 0 carb coffee sryups which come in handy to flavor plain yogurt, smoothies, baked goods, etc. Good Luck shopping and don't forget your reading glasses.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The 6 oz. (170 g) container of Raspberry Non Fat Chobani Greek Yogurt I have in my refrigerator tonight has five "live" cultures including: S.Thermophilus, L.Bulgaricus, L.Acidophilus, Bifidus & L.Casei. The market where I shop is experiencing a shortage of the Chobani brand because of production problems at the factory. The Chobani brand is also the one that seems to be sold out or almost sold out every time I go to the market. My favorite flavor is the Pineapple :)

G

·
I vaguely remember shopping in your walgreens grocery store there... but you guys have a lot of different products that we don't have. Funnily enough some of your food there followed me back home... oreos, doritos, cheerios... they were never sold here previously. We tend to prefer whole foods... but lately there is a lot more processed stuff coming to our shelves. We have a lot of convenience foods coming on to the market too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 6 oz. (170 g) container of Raspberry Non Fat Chobani Greek Yogurt I have in my refrigerator tonight has five "live" cultures including: S.Thermophilus, L.Bulgaricus, L.Acidophilus, Bifidus & L.Casei. The market where I shop is experiencing a shortage of the Chobani brand because of production problems at the factory. The Chobani brand is also the one that seems to be sold out or almost sold out every time I go to the market. My favorite flavor is the Pineapple :)
I had to double check, yep it's there...all the wording together. Normally you see a separate labeling stating the live cultures.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
583 Posts
I found that it wasn't helpful to always try to find a substitute for everything I couldn't have because of diabetes! The food companies are catching on and saying stuff is for diabetics, when actually they have hidden carbs, including different forms of SUGAR....and try to find anything that doesn't have high frutose corn syrup in it! I basically found a few things that I could substitute once in awhile and then quit trying to eat the same way I used to eat. I had to change the way I thought about food and even talked about it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Diana - You present a very interesting point. I slipped back into the old way of eating because I could cover the "not so good stuff for me" with insulin. Now I find myself addicted to sugar again. I'm not a smoker nor do I drink alcohol, but I sure do keep needing my daily fix of sugar. Got to break this habit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts