The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems to me a bunch of folks can drop weight going LC.

Except me :Cry:

I bought a new scale. Got a nice surprise . Down 10lbs it says.
This morning one week later, I weighed, up 8lbs . So sad.'sigh'

Maybe all the high fat isn't for me.IDK. I have been LC for months.
Weigh & measure my foods. No high carbs at all.

My BG is down, thats good. I just wish my weight would come down.

I heard that insulin is a culprit for not dropping weight. I DK if that is true.

Makes me want to eat something ,like say, some fluffy homemade biscuits. :nono:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
You say that you have been doing LC for months. Have you been losing weight at all or just this one time with the phantom 10 lbs?

I was happily losing weight for months and then blam! hit a 2+ month long plateau where I am struggling to just not gain the weight back.

Here are some suggestions that I have run into searching for answers myself. Hopefully something will ring a bell or work for you!

1. Re-evaluate how many carbs you are really eating. If you aren't measuring, it may be that you are underestimating.

2. You didn't say how many carbs you are eating in a day? If you are around 20-30g, look at other factors first. If you are eating more, you could try reducing your carbs.

3. If carbs aren't the problem, look at how much protein you are eating. A percentage of protein is turned into glucose by your liver. If you are eating more than 6 oz of protein in a meal try reducing the amount or spreading it out over your meals (e.g. don't have 12 oz steak for dinner, do 6 for lunch and 6 for dinner).

4. Some people have an insulin response to dairy (especially milk). It's worth a shot to cut out milk, cheese, yogurt and maybe even butter. Try that for a week or two.

Just some shots in the dark. I know how frustrating it can be, hopefully LC is at least helping you control your BG, even if you aren't losing weight.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much for the reply.
I do have butter ,heavy cream, yogurt, cheese but I am doing the 2T or 1/4 c. or 1/2 c. I measure on scale or by spoon or cup.

My protein is 6oz steak or 4 or 5 gd meat. Etc. Maybe thats to much? I do fill up on salads. Green low complex carb & free carb veggies.

Reg D put me on 60 carbs a day. She gave me Calorie King & its really my bible. She even said I could eat whole wheat pastas & some low carb high fiber breads, I have not done that.
I eat very little fruit. Sick of blueberries lol.

I stopped buying nuts. I found myself eating more then a handfull.

My appt is on Friday . I will have to do a do-over on my food :(

I lost 75lbs after my son was born in 5months. Doing a Diet Center program. After that I never wanted to see another egg or chicken breast or Tofu.:eek:

This D is for the rest of my life so I better work it out.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I successfully lost 50 lbs last year eating the Atkins diet (I also read Dr. Bernstein's book) and since they were very similar, and regardless of what I weighed, I kept going. I had some plateaus along the way, some felt like forever, but I'm now at or somedays, below my goal and my A1C went from 6.9 to 5.4 with no effort on my part other than 'keep on keeping on'. I bought a scale and weighed everything I ate until I got the hang of amounts, I keep a food and blood glucose diary and ate cheese (as Fat as I could find), fatty meats and eggs aplenty in all sorts of way. Yogurt, if the fat version, the only low fat, but not removed fat was string cheese for snacks and mozzarella a little.

No BREAD product, unless I made it...like home made crackers made with seeds, or crackers made from cheese in the microwave...search for low carb sites and do be sure to check the recipe section on this site...some wonderful ideas there.

Good luck,

I began at 20 a day, I'm now at about 35, but sometimes lower, some days higher.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I lost 75lbs after my son was born in 5months. Doing a Diet Center program. After that I never wanted to see another egg or chicken breast or Tofu.:eek:

This D is for the rest of my life so I better work it out.
Wow, congratulations on losing 75 lbs! That is amazing. Sounds like you are already trying a lot of different options, maybe you are just stalled? I have heard that as you lose more the weight loss slows down, often after having lost about 20% of the original/highest body weight.

I don't think that 5-6 oz of protein in a meal is too much. I use calorie king a lot as well, they seem to have the most accurate database of foods.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Everybody's definition of low carb is different. How many carbs are you eating per day and how much fat? I have lost a lot of weight in the past 10 years and have hit lots of plateaus and even gained back some weight. I am now below my goal weight and would like to take off a few more pounds. Whenever I hit a plateau I examine what I am eating and start to tweak it around. Usually weight gain is caused by too many carbs or too much proteien. So you may need to adjust those. Also swapping meals around helps me. Eat dinner fro breakfast, breakfast for dinner, etc. Also mixing up exercise sometimes works. If you normally exercise at night try exercising in the morning. This will force your body to work harder burning more calories. Slow weight loss is the best weight loss.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You don't mention exercise in here... What are you doing for exercise?

Also, how many daily calories are you consuming?

·
Registered
718 Posts
From what I understand insulin can actually cause weight gain.

Are you losing any inches?

My weight can vary based on what time of day it is, how long it's been since I've eaten, what time of the month it is... I really don't weight myself unless I go to the doctor. I do know that I am losing inches, and I can see it in my face.

Also, have you had your thyroid checked recently? Doesn't matter how low-carb or low-calorie I eat, if my thyroid is off, the weight doesn't come off. I gained 20lbs in ONE month a few years ago even though I was doing aerobics three days a week...it was my thyroid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts