The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a real tight budget at my house. To make things stretch we have two or three nights a week with meatless meals. Any suggestions on what I can have while my family eats a pasta supper that doesn't include carbs?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Eggs are cheap - maybe an omelet filled with yummy things -

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Eggs, being gov't subsidized, are cheap. And you can vary flavors and fillings a lot.

There are inexpensive cheeses, too.

Frozen veg are cheaper to purchase, there is less waste, and they are very close to being as nutritious as fresh.

Soups are filling -- look through the recipes section for some that would appeal to your family.

Hope these help -- my husband grew up on peanut butter and marmalade on white bread, and gross frozen fish -- the cheapest. :( It is hard to eat both well and very cheaply, low-carb or not!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Vegetable soups? Or, toss any meat leftovers in. Or eat some cheese for your protein. I love soups almost any time. Hamburger patty with cauliflower and broccoli or frozen spinach or as I had last night, some frozen brussels sprouts?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would get a head of cabbage and thinnly slice it up and microwave it and pour your sauce over it. Tomato sauce does have some carbs but I can handle it pretty good. You can slice up any type of veggie to use as pasta. Eggs are also a great cheap option. You are not going to find a 0 carb option for meat but cheese comes pretty close. If you can handle beans try some refried beans.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You can also use most types of squash for noodles with pasta sauce so you don't necessarily have to eat differently than the family. Spaghetti squash works very well, or you could use sliced eggplant and saute in some coconut oil or EVOO, or even zuccinni can be used by making zuccinni straws or thin planks and sauteing as well. You can also use green beans with pasta sauce (actually pretty yummy) and have a nice salad with any of them. 1 lb of ground beef can stretch quite a ways with spaghetti sauce, just browned and mixed in with the sauce, or you can use italian sausage, or really any kind of meat. If you are going meatless, you need to get some protein in their and cheese would be a great addition.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I make very low carb and cost fritters with psyllium husks...basically a couple of eggs a couple tablespoons of psyllium husks...some cream (or water if you are really trying to save money)

What I do is fry the extra ingredients and then fold through the batter (eggs, psyllium husks and liquid) and then fry the fritters...

I also use lima/butter beans...just fry an onion some garlic and black pepper...and some tinned tomato...add the beans and yummmmm...or some woster sauce...

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I like to buy a big cheap cut of meat (like pork shoulder or chuck roast), then cook it for hours in the slow cooker. That gives me maybe 5 lbs of cooked meat that I can use in various meals for the next 2 weeks. So if I do pork shoulder, I'll make some bbq pulled pork, pork tacos (with lettuce cups instead of tortillas), add pork to vegetable soup, etc.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Pancakes, eggy ones made with coconut (or almond) flour and baking powder, coconut oil ... add some SF syrup and it comes out comparatively cheap. For when you get sick of omelets ... ;-)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
As others have said, we eat eggs, Eggs & more EGGS! Omelets, scrambled, egg salad, deviled eggs . . . eggs are the biggest protein bang for your buck. And chopping up a hard-cooked egg with a little tuna & mayo would make a really quick meal for you while your family has pasta, and get you more omega-3s too. Canned tuna & salmon are mainstays for me too.

But I do a lot like Daytona does, only I quick-roast the marked down cuts of beef for http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/1991-deli-roast-beef.html#post8527 . . . I got a 3-pound rump roast a coupla weeks ago & we were eating from it for at least a week. We're a household of two senior citizens, so food goes a little farther here than if we were still feeding a houseful of kids.

Country-style pork ribs run about $1.59 to $1.79 a pound around here, so I fix those a lot - one package makes 3 or 4 meals for us. It's the only meat I ever find for less than $2 a pound. Here's how I usually fix them: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/4299-country-ribs-sauerkraut.html#post28925

Some meatless meals besides the omelets etc., mentioned above, are Chile Relleno Casserole, Creamed Garden Stir-fry & Tuna & Snow Peas Salad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coconut oil.. does it taste like Coconuts? I'm not a big fan of Coconuts at all, actually it repels me...

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
There are two kinds of coconut oil. Unrefined, virgin coconut oil which smells like coconut but doesn't really have any flavor. This works well with baking. Refined (expeller pressed) coconut oil has been deodorized and works better for savory cooking where you don't want the smell of coconut throwing you off.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Has anyone tried drinking lady fingers boil in hot water to lower blood sugar.
From what I've seen of this treatment, it refers to eating okra, a high fiber vegetable used in the making of the southern dish (USA) gumbo. What it does NOT refer to is the cherry brandy cocktail, or the biscuit-like pastry.

My guess is that okra would be fine in a diabetic food plan, but it's definitely an acquired taste. My husband loves the stuff . . . me, not so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts