The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor & I had reasons to suspect some sort of blood sugar issues for me months ago but I lost my health insurance before I could havethe lab work done. Recently I have felt increasingly worse ao I purchased an at home meter just to see if I was crazy or not. This morning I woke up sick as hell like always, my reading was 91. I ate breakfast, which always makes me feel better, and my blood shot up to 164 then a little bit later was at 188. From everything I read that's high. I waited until three hours after eating and tried again an t was down to 74. I'm confused as to what this means. I feel awful today too, I don't know if it's the stress of worrying that I have diabetes or the blood sugar problems making me feel bad but I'm tired and weak and have an upset stomach.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi and Welcome. I'm not sure what to advise in terms of medical intervention and I am NOT a Doctor, but the Blood Glucose readings you report above indicate to me that you are not tolerating or managing Blood Glucose (BG) like a normal non-Diabetic person who would be in the range of around 70 -126mg/dl at all times.

It is good that you can test your own BG because I think you need to start by focusing on what you eat and avoiding foods that raise your BG so much.

The fact that you were back down to 74mg/dl at 3 hours after eating (postprandial) is a good sign that you are making insulin and are able to reduce your BG but it may be the rapid spike and then fall of your BG that is making you feel so unwell.

I'd suggest you start by cutting out obvious sugary foods like candy, soda, cakes, breakfast cereals and fruit juices, then look to cut out or reduce your "white" starchy foods" like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Brown or wholewheat versions of these may be OK but for many of us are just as bad -- especially commercial varieties.

BUT don't starve yourself and don't be afraid of naturally occurring fats. Try bacon and eggs for breakfast for example.

Test before and 2 hours after each meal. Keep a food + BG diary and watch for repeatable patterns of foods that you can tolerate and those that raise your BG too much.

Please stay around, read, share and ask questions.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Frank gave you some good advice. Even without insurance it is improtant to see a doctor and get tested. Your fasting are still in the normal range (70-100) but your after meal readings are very high. The way our endocrine system works is we have a PHASE 1 insulin response which is the stored insulin and a PHASE 2 response which is newly created insulin. By the time most of us are diagnosed our phase 1 response is basically gone. Most non D's even when they overeat rarely spike much above 120-140 and are back under 100 fairly quickly. It sounds like your Phase 1 response is very weak if at all but you still have some phase 2 insulin which does bring you back down eventually. At this point some medication or change of diet could prevent you from losing any more beta cells in your pancreas.

Reactions: Cadydid

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't remember the name of this, but there is a type of diabetes where you have low and high blood sugar levels

·
Registered
297 Posts
fgummett gave some excellent advice. I will suggest that if you are not exercising, get started. It does not have to be running, but walking even 15 minutes per day - 7 days a week can be a big help.

Most recommend 30 minutes five days per week, but either way you need to exercise if you are able. Swimming, aerobics, even light weight lifting, or combinations of these all will be beneficial. It is not necessary to join a gym or even purchase equipment as even canned food duct-taped to a bar that you can grip will work for weights.

I know that going to a doctor may not be available or affordable, but you should consider this strongly to be sure what type of diabetes you have since you do not state an approximate age. People can get type 1 even in their early 40's, LADA is possible, but type 2 may be the case.

Keep us posted and do ask questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses. After those weird blood sugar results I continued testing for a day and everything was in the normal 90-110 range so I thought maybe it was a fluke. Then tonight I had one of my "episodes" again that I have been having on and off for years... everyone says they are panic attacks but I swear they're not. Anyway, nauseas, shaking, heart pounding like a drum and almost too dizzy to stand. I had eaten about 20 minutes before so I didn't think it would be low blood sugar but I tested and was at 59. That seems incredibly low to me! I felt HORRID. I read online a little and that lead me to drink some of a soda and eat a couple pieces of hard candy. About 30 minutes into that my blood sugar was at 101. So that seems pretty clear hypoglycemic right? I put a call in to my doctor Wednesday and am still waiting for the call back...

·
Registered
460 Posts
...tonight I had one of my "episodes" again that I have been having on and off for years... everyone says they are panic attacks but I swear they're not. Anyway, nauseas, shaking, heart pounding like a drum and almost too dizzy to stand. I had eaten about 20 minutes before so I didn't think it would be low blood sugar but I tested and was at 59. ...
What had you eaten 20 minutes earlier? As Emily alluded to there is a condition which seems to occur in those on the way to developing Type 2 Diabetes... this condition is called Reactive Hypoglycemia where the body responds to a Glucose load by secreting too much insulin -- as opposed to insufficient insulin when Diabetes finally shows itself.

If your low BG is a response/reaction to a meal high in refined/concentrated carbohydrates (Glucose) then the logical solution is to avoid such food.

Try eating real whole food with a natural balance of nutrients but not processed/packaged, refined or concentrated. This may shake up your ideas of what is "healthy" food but you have an opportunity to hopefully stop or slow Type 2 Diabetes in its tracks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I had eaten was peanut butter and rice crackers. I wasn't feeling well but didn't feel hungry so I gave that a try thinking the protein would be goo for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What I had eaten was peanut butter and rice crackers. I wasn't feeling well but didn't feel hungry so I gave that a try thinking the protein would be goo for me.
I expect the peanut butter WAS good for you, but the rice jacked you up & then let you drop like a rock.

·
Registered
460 Posts
What brand of peanut butter? Just crushed peanuts or any added sugar?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have celiac disease so my food options are limited. I had the rice crackers because they are gluten free with Justin's maple hazelnut butter. I thought I needed the sugar and protein and that snack usually makes me feel better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it could also me mody 3

some signs it could be mody-
Mild to moderate hyperglycemia (typically 130–250 mg/dl, or 7-14 mM/L) discovered before 30 years of age. However, anyone under 50 can develop MODY.[3]
A first-degree relative with a similar degree of diabetes.
Absence of positive antibodies or other autoimmunity (e.g., thyroiditis) in patient and family.
Persistence of a low insulin requirement (e.g., less than 0.5 u/kg/day) past the usual "honeymoon" period.
Absence of obesity (although overweight or obese people can get MODY), or other problems associated with type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome (e.g. hypertension, hyperlipidemia, polycystic ovary syndrome).[4]
Insulin resistance very rarely happens.[5]
Cystic kidney disease in patient or close relatives.
Non-transient neonatal diabetes, or apparent type 1 diabetes with onset before 6 months of age.
Liver adenoma or hepatocellular carcinoma in MODY type 3[6]
Renal cysts, rudimentary or bicornuate uterus, vaginal aplasia, absence of the vas deferens, epidymal cysts in MODY type 5[7]
-from wikippedia

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have celiac disease so my food options are limited. I had the rice crackers because they are gluten free with Justin's maple hazelnut butter. I thought I needed the sugar and protein and that snack usually makes me feel better.
You really don't need to justify to me your food choices :) I was just trying to help you figure out what was happening with your BGs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just trying to explain. Celiac and diabetes go hand in hand a lot of times and I don't think anyone in their right mid would eat rice crackers if they disnt have to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts