The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's friend has been type 2 for many years. She is taking meds (I don't know which one or ones) but she is not on insulin. I have been with her at buffets, she eats 2 big plates piled with carb-loaded food, and has a dinner-sized plate of cake and pie for dessert. That is the way she always eats. Between meals she downs donuts, candy, chips and cookies.

She doesn't take her bg often, and hasn't said how high her bg goes, but sometimes after eating a meal as described above (I don't know how long afterwards), her bg drops into the 60's or lower. She has been sick the past week, and she said yesterday her bg was 48 and she had a hard time bringing it back up.

I haven't had a problem with lows, so can someone please explain to me why her bg is dropping so low since she is a type 2, not on insulin, and it seems like the carbs would keep her bg high instead of taking it so low.

·
Registered
322 Posts
my guess would be that she is taking a medication that is stimulating her body to over produce insulin. and if she does not eat the carbs she crashes.

sounds like poorly managed D to me.

but i dont even play a Dr. on TV to thats about as good as my opion is .

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
My sister's friend has been type 2 for many years. She is taking meds (I don't know which one or ones) but she is not on insulin. I have been with her at buffets, she eats 2 big plates piled with carb-loaded food, and has a dinner-sized plate of cake and pie for dessert. That is the way she always eats. Between meals she downs donuts, candy, chips and cookies.

She doesn't take her bg often, and hasn't said how high her bg goes, but sometimes after eating a meal as described above (I don't know how long afterwards), her bg drops into the 60's or lower. She has been sick the past week, and she said yesterday her bg was 48 and she had a hard time bringing it back up.

I haven't had a problem with lows, so can someone please explain to me why her bg is dropping so low since she is a type 2, not on insulin, and it seems like the carbs would keep her bg high instead of taking it so low.

If you watch this video from about 28:45 for a few minutes (until you see the two overlayed graphs, I think you will understand the answer to your question. The entire video is also VERY worth watching if you have the time.

Dr. Eenfeldt

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you watch this video from about 28:45 for a few minutes (until you see the two overlayed graphs, I think you will understand the answer to your question.
Thanks for the link, but I can't get the time on the video to advance and am not really interested in watching the whole thing. I am hoping there is a short and simple answer.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When some people are insulin resistant and eat a ton of carbs their BG will spike very high . In response their pancreas starts to over produce insulin which sends it very low. Also if she is on a Sulfyurea drug like Glipizide, it stimulates the pancreas to over produce insulin. Also there are oral like Prandin and Starlix that also signal pancreas to over produce insulin. The only problem with these drugs is eventually they burn out whatever beta cells you have left.

Reactions: thcri and Gizmo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts