The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am a carbaholic, I always loved bagels. Before diabetes Breuggers Bagels was my favorite lunch spot. Well today I decided I was going to figure out a way to make my own LC bagels. A few months ago I bought some baking pans. One of them was a Donut pan with 6 donut spots in it. I used my English muffin recipe and tweaked it a bit. They came out great. They weren't super thick but I was able to split them and use them for a grilled chesse and pepperoni sandwich. It was so good to have a real sandwich again. I can see lots of variations for this recipe, too.

Bagels

1 cup golden flaxseed meal
4 T almond flour
4 T chia seeds or other seeds
1 t baking powder
pinch salt
3 beaten eggs
4 T melted butter or coconut oil

spices or seeds to taste

I mixed everything together and spooned it into my Donut pans. I got enough for 6 medium size bagels. I then sprinkles some sesame seeds on top of dough and pressed them in. I put in a 350 oven and baked for about 10-12 minutes. When I took them out I dumped them out and cooled on a rack. They were great. I think tomorrow I may make a cinnamon- nut version.

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
This sounds delicious! How does it affect your bg's? Also, does the flaxseed meal have any effect on the gastrointestinal system? I just ordered some almond flour (found it cheaper to order online than buy in grocery store). I would imagine I can find flaxseed meal at Whole Foods or Hobart's. I will definitely try making these this weekend if possible. I do miss dipping some bread in my eggs on the weekends!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts