The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with different low carb bread recipes and so far nada tastes good. Flax flavor is so gross to me that I can't even stand one bite.

I tried a coconut bread recipe but it never rose even one bit and tasted terrible (a mix of burnt coconut flour and sweetner aftertaste).

My hubby's comment for both recipes was, "ewww gross"

I did like an almond flour pancake recipe off of about.com website and have liked the 3 minute chocolate cake off of another. So I think almond flour is a good ingredient for my taster.

We also enjoyed a super thin cauliflower crust recipe for pizza that was quite tasty.

I am waiting for my order of erythritol and two flavors of Da Vinci syrups to arrive and GG cripsbreads to arrive. Hopefully I don't mind their flavors.

Is there any other types of recipes out there that anyone has liked (without flax please)?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you using the brown flaxseed or the golden flaxseed? I find the Golden works so much better. Also for breads the Blanched Almond Flour works better than the Almond Meal. I guess I am use to the flaxseed taste and even my husband likes my cookies and breads with it. The best recipes are on Gluten free sites. Here is one of my favorites

www.elenaspantry.com/gluten-free-recipes/breads/

Reactions: d33na and annsrum

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
flax

I used the regular flax meal (I think it is meal). The recipe was a flax foccacia style bread and that was the main ingredient. I guess I'm a picky eater or something dunno but I just couldn't get past the grass taste.

I also have golden milled flax but have been afraid to touch it since I hated the other so much. Are they very much different in flavor?

I love almond flour quite a bit though. I'd probably eat it even if I wasn't watching my carbs.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Are you using the brown flaxseed or the golden flaxseed? I find the Golden works so much better. Also for breads the Blanched Almond Flour works better than the Almond Meal. I guess I am use to the flaxseed taste and even my husband likes my cookies and breads with it. The best recipes are on Gluten free sites. Here is one of my favorites

Gluten Free Quick Bread Recipes
I was about to say the exact same thing lol...um I found the golden flax in a health food shop and it was kept in the fridge...it needs to be in the fridge which is why I never found it b4...it makes a massive difference to the final taste...well worth a try...

I made an interesting bread substitute yesterday...

¼ cup protein powder
1 egg
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon olive oil

zap for 1 minute

I then let it cool a bit and sliced it into 4 slices and brushed them with olive oil and garlic...not perfect by a long shot but no flax taste

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.