The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Combine equal parts of almond meal, gluten and grated parmesan cheese.
Pulse the mixture in a food processor until it is a uniform fine powder.
Use as you would any breading medium - dredge the food in the mixture and fry in moderate amounts of fat.
Egg wash may be used for better adhesion of the breading.

Adapted from Brandi's Breading

<edited to revise recipe>
A greater proportion of gluten improves this a lot. I had a bag of it in the freezer, but it wasn't enough for what I needed it for tonight, so in a hurry, I grabbed the bag of gluten & dumped in a sizeable addition & pulsed it around in the processor again.

It stuck to the meat better and tasted better too, in my considered opinion.

When I make a new batch, I think I'll do 2 parts gluten to 1 part each of almond flour & parmesan.

serving size is 1 oz/28g (this does not include the nutrient count of whatever you're breading, and smaller portions would require less breading)

calories: 122
calories from fat: 50
total fat: 6g
saturated fat: 1g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 6mg
sodium: 111mg
total carbs: 4g
dietary fiber: 1g
sugars: 0g
protein: 15g
vitamin A: 1%
calcium: 11%
iron: 6%

·
Banned
111 Posts
Must try that the next time. I like to add spices too. I have no problem with it sticking though because I double dip just like I did with regular breading. I do add a tiny bit of cream to a beaten egg and dip in the breading then the egg and back in the breading.

Adding more vital wheat glutin would increase the carbs a bit but you use so little I don't think it would matter

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The higher-carb component here is the almond flour, so increasing the gluten changes the total carbs very little.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
This brings a question to mind...which do you keep in the freezer and which in the fridge? All or exceptions? I just cleaned out the freezer and want to know which I have to keep in it...

·
Banned
111 Posts
I keep nothing in the freezer. I keep flax seed in the fridge and I grind in small quantities and store in the fridge in another container

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Okay, I thought I should keep the flours at least in the freezer. It gets a bit warm here in my kitchen...lots of sun and high temps despite A/C in the summer. Can I safely freeze some as I've got, thanks to MCS and others, a lot of new products.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Depends how quickly I use it. I keep my Honeyville almond flour in the freezer because it can take me a while to go through 5 lbs.

Reactions: Dodie37737
1 - 9 of 9 Posts