The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Can I assume this means BEANS aren't very good for diabetics? I haven't looked into it yet, but I *LOVE*making home-made chili ... I'll rather miss the beans if they're off the list...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good recipe, Gene . . . thanks for posting it. Just what we need around here this week while we wait for the snow to melt! heheh!

As for the beans, you'll have to test & find out, Beefy . . . I can tolerate a few black beans in a burrito or on a salad, but I dasn't get carried away. :rolleyes: So get out your trusty meter again & try small amounts. You might get lucky. :D Maybe if the more common ones bump you too high, you could try edamame - they're a good substitute too. Altho' I haven't tried 'em in chili yet, I've used them in casseroles & they're fine - even adding a little color.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone said Soy beans are high in fiber and low in carbs - maybe you can try those. Honestly, I didn't miss the beans, this was full of flavor.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
All beans are high in fiber and magnesium so they are good for most people. I can tolerate about a 1/2 cup of beans at a time. They also have resistant starch in them which is good for lowering bgs. But if you are supersensitive to carbs they may spike you. When I make chilli I put about twice the amount of meat and veggies to beans.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
All beans are high in fiber and magnesium so they are good for most people. I can tolerate about a 1/2 cup of beans at a time. They also have resistant starch in them which is good for lowering bgs. But if you are supersensitive to carbs they may spike you. When I make chilli I put about twice the amount of meat and veggies to beans.
I made up a batch of chili today. Used 1/2 the beans I normally do, so it was pretty meaty. Basically used 2lb of ground sirloin, 1 full onion chopped, 2 cans of dark red kidney beans, one large jar of salsa, various seasonings (chili powder, crushed chilis, pepper, salt, garlic, etc.), lime juice and some habanero hot sauce.

Tested BGs: 6.9 (124) before eating a bowl, 7.3 (131) one hour after, did 25 minutes of cardio to help, then 6.4 (115) two hours after and back up to 7.1 (128) four hours after (the last reading was also a little after eating an apple w/ PB, so it may affect it somewhat.)

So yes, it spikes me a little. Exercise helped lower it, but they did creep up again after the exercise... as I'm guessing those beans take a little while to digest and convert to blood glucose.

For the occasional treat though, not bad, at least for me. I'm glad y'all told me to test or I might have just avoided them completely!

I will have to try the low-carb bean-less chili though and see how it is, thanks for posting the link!

·
Registered
344 Posts
We have converted a lot of our hamburger recipes to Ground Turkey. I have really gotten to like it over the beef.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts