The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So missing chips and munchies while watching a movie and stuff I saw a thread on another site about low carb chips. I was wondering if you all had any great ideas.
One that they had which I am getting ready to try is. Joseph brand makes a low carb pita 4 carbs per pita, take the pita cit it into chips brush on a light coat of olive oil and bake. Lightly salt and there ya go. You can also top with cheese and other toppings, what ever makes you happy.

I have not tried this yet but can't wait until my order gets here. Being in alaska limits my access to a lot of good food options, so I was able to order a case of pitas direct from Josephs. I will let you know what I think when they get here.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You can take any low carb tortilla and spray with Pam, sprinkle with spices and cut up into triangles and bake until crisp. I make my own chips similar to Doritoes using Almond Flour, shredded cheese, spices and water. I make a dough and smush it with my hands. I then roll in out on parchment paper or a silicone liner. I then take a pizza cutter and score diagnonal lines so I have triangles. I sprinkle more spice on top and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. The thinner you roll them the crispier they will be. You can also make your own chips in the microwave. I take Flaxseed meal, add shredded cheese and some spice and a few tablespoons of water. Again roll it out flat and sprinkle spice or seeds on top. Cook on parchement paper or a coated paper plate in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Take out when crisp.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Flax crackers would also work.

1:1 flaxmeal and water, you can add parmesan or sesame seeds or both to it, spread thinly on parchement paper and microwave. I use 1/4 c flax and microwave 5 min, if I add a lot of stuff it sometimes needs an extra minute.

Cool, break or snip into pieces and dip!

I did not do so well on low-carb tortillas.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
almond flour and flaxmeal. who my whole cooking vocabulary is going to have to change.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Boy, do I know just what you mean! I'm gradually collecting a whole new pantry of stuff. Problem is, so much of the meals, flours, etc. need to be refrigerated. I'm trying to keep them in my dark pantry instead. When I think I've got the right things, something else comes up that I need...like coconut flour!

·
Registered
930 Posts
tgreen

tgreen:
If I told you the truth directly I would be banned so I can only say:
Tread Carefully Stranger!
Do your own home work!
Carefully check the details like:
How long does it take flax seed to go rancid/toxic after it has been ground up or heated?
What happens to unsaturated oils like olive oil when it is heated?
Is imitation junk food any better or worse than regular junk food?

Best of Luck,

ColaJim

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Banned for telling the truth? Surely not!

I don't use olive oil to cook, I use coconut or bacon grease and never fry things.

But, I need something to put my cheese on if it's sliced or a salad. Of course I do eat cheese slices plain most of the time.

I like the result of eating flax seeds. And, the benefit it brings to the 'table' so to speak, to avoid being banned.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Patdart

Patdart:

If you grind your own flax seed in a coffee grinder and consume it within 1/2 hour then yes, it can add to your "life force", but if you wait 24 hours before you eat it then the oxygen in the air will oxidize it turning it into a useless toxic waste product which may be very inflammatory to you.

ColaJim

Banned for telling the truth? Surely not!

I don't use olive oil to cook, I use coconut or bacon grease and never fry things.

But, I need something to put my cheese on if it's sliced or a salad. Of course I do eat cheese slices plain most of the time.

I like the result of eating flax seeds. And, the benefit it brings to the 'table' so to speak, to avoid being banned.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Patdart

Thanks. Can you give me a reference for this? I buy it as seeds.

But that is mostly for people that care about not dieing of cancer but does not work for many people because after the cancer disappears they feel that they no longer have to supply their bodies with the nutrients it requires to survive.

among others that recommend eating ground flax seed before it oxidizes.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
That is an interesting video, Jim, but I fail to see it's relevancy when discussing making crackers as we're talking about. We aren't suggesting grinding them for that and the fiber they bring to the table is sure a great way to obtain even more fiber. I'll try her recipe one day soon, but sure will have to be careful of the amount of fruit I put in it. I'm having cottage cheese at the moment, but I use the full fat kind.

Thanks for answering my question!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
But that is mostly for people that care about not dieing of cancer but does not work for many people because after the cancer disappears they feel that they no longer have to supply their bodies with the nutrients it requires to survive.

among others that recommend eating ground flax seed before it oxidizes.
Darn! I wish she hadn't made that parting shot about bacon/eggs being unhealthy . . .
So not true!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts