1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Low Carb Chocolate Candy

2 tablespoons butter
1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate square
1 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
9 pkts. Splenda

Melt butter and chocolate in microwave, stir in cream. Add vanilla and Splenda. Drop by teaspoon onto foil or wax paper, let cool.

I haven't tried this recipe yet. If anyone does try it, please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I use ONE packet Truvia in mine:

1 square baker's chocolate
1 pkt Truvia
2 -3 T Coconut oil, or more

Microwave 1 min. Stir till chocolate dissolves.
Pour in cream and freeze, stirring occasionally. Final texture varies from fudge to "frosting" to mousse depending on amount of cream and my mood!

I sometimes substitute splenda syrup (Eng. Toffee by Torani is esp good), or add some walnuts.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do mine like Foxi and use the CO. Sometimes I will add peanut butter or almond butter to it. I use the bottled 0 carb Davinci syrups, just a splash. I also use dark cocoa instead of the unsweet chocolate.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I never really liked dark chocolate, it's too bitter for my taste, but I did like Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate, I'm sure that's because they load it with sugar, but that was back in the days before I was diagnosed. Replacing the sweetener with carb-free syrup sounds like a winner.

I'll have to remember to buy some baking chocolate next time I hit Walmart and do a little experimenting. Or if it turns out good... a lot of experimenting.

I have never heard of dark cocoa. Do you use that instead of regular because you like it better or because it is supposed to be more healthy or because it has less carbs? I have some regular cocoa. Do you think that would be OK to use? I guess that would require less sweetener to take away the bitterness.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I started with 1 tbsp. butter & 2 tbsp. cocoa (not dark), 1/8 tsp. vanilla and started adding sweetener. I added 2 tbsp. Walden Farms pancake syrup and 4 pkts. Splenda before I gave up and pitched it. It was still too bitter for my taste, but I'm not giving up. In a couple of days, after this bitter taste is gone, I'll try it again using 1 tbsp. cocoa.

The thing that was REALLY bad was even though I stirred & stirred, there were tiny hunks of cocoa that wouldn't stir in, so when I tasted it... yuck!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmmmmmm, triple post. Guess I'm talking to myself. That's OK, it isn't the first time.

Out of boredom I tried again. Stirred 1 1/2 tbsp. syrup & 1/8 tsp. vanilla into 1 tbsp. cocoa until no lumps. Added 1 tbsp. whipping cream & 4 pkts. Splenda, then 1 tbsp. melted butter. Tasted like semi-bitter cocoa with syrup in it. That went the way of the previous batch.

I know this is disappointing news for you, but I won't be posting any more of my failed chocolate candy recipes here. The search is on for the low carb Hersey bar recipe that actually tastes like a Hershey. I know it's out there. :typing:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What I do is just what was passed down via this forum (taken from a jwags post some time ago), but relies on erythritol because it tastes like sugar to me and nothing else does (get mine from Amazon):

1. Coconut oil (first used Spectrum refined that has no taste - then used the unrefined for a hint of coconut)
2 Ghirardelli's unsweetened powdered cocoa
3. Chunky peanut butter
4. Erythritol

That's it! Coconut oil melts at very low temp - careful not to get it too hot so you can mix to taste. I then put in a pyrex dish and in the freezer. Once frozen, I break it into chunks, put in a freezer bag, and when I just gotta have a hit ... Tastes like (okay, almost just like) frozen Reece's cups.

I've put cream in, unsweetened coconut to try for a Mounds bar, almond butter, and I'm not sure what else, but the first shot - the basics - was the best.

Reactions: Mary and Gizmo

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After an evening searching the web, I learned pretty much the same thing moon just posted. You have to use Erythritol, and preferably cocoa butter. So it will set up without freezing, you use paraffin. Best to heat in a double boiler.

Thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Paraffin ... yuck. That is a non-food if ever there was.

But I am not a candy person so much as looking for a way to combine CO and chocolate, so I am happy with mine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts