The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please explain me if ketoacidosis is possible on low carb diet with normal BG levels. Sometimes I read that only high BG + lots of ketones can cause ketoacidosis. But sometimes that low insuline level + lots of ketones = ketoacidosis. Two diffent things for someone not taking an insuline (my choice) and low C-peptide (currently 0.84 ng/ml). Without any medication I manage to keep normal BG - acording to glucometer average about 105. Is there a danger of ketoacidosis and I should eat more carbs balancing those with insuline? My current ketones level is 1.0 mmol/L but it may rise (however I do eat vegetables so the diet isn't without any carbs).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't confuse ketone bodies with ketoacidosis. The latter is where your body produces too much for it to use.

As long as your BG numbers are normal, ketones are not an issue, ad long as they are not in super high amounts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't confuse ketone bodies with ketoacidosis. The latter is where your body produces too much for it to use.
I don't. But accorng to wikipedia:
"Ketoacidosis occurs when the body is producing large quantities of ketone bodies via the metabolism of fatty acids (ketosis) and the body is producing insufficient insulin to slow this production."
So it sounds like low insulin levels may cause ketoacidosis.

As long as your BG numbers are normal, ketones are not an issue, ad long as they are not in super high amounts.
Thats a good news. I hope you're right. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Remember that Wikipedia is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Insulin has nothing to do with ketones - it's a storage hormone for glucose and fat.

Ketoacidosis is where the body produces lots of ketones, and with the absence of insulin to regulate the BG levels, an acidic environment is produced. It is not the ketones that produce the problem per se. The thing to know if you are or not requires a ketone test. when there is a LARGE amount of ketones, and really high BG numbers then DKA can set in.

Hope that clears it up.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I also am not on meds, but I keep myself in Ketosis on purpose. It hasn't been a problem for me, so I wouldn't worry. I do it for appetite depression and it really works! I don't think you need to worry, but maybe some wiser voices will check in...

Good luck,

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Did I read correctly that you (the OP) are a Type 1 diabetic who takes no insulin?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also am not on meds, but I keep myself in Ketosis on purpose. It hasn't been a problem for me, so I wouldn't worry. I do it for appetite depression and it really works! I don't think you need to worry, but maybe some wiser voices will check in...

Good luck,
OMG............................did i read this correctly?!!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
633 Posts
since my comment wasn't captured...not sure if this was meant for me or OP:). for i am a nutritionist so i am well versed :D
since you are so well versed you wont mind expalining the difference to everybody else will you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
since you are so well versed you wont mind expalining the difference to everybody else will you.
oh my, well i just got home and found this very friendly reply.....thank you for welcoming me so warmly to the forum :):):)

so lets see now...where to begin??? :D
hmmmm well...ketosis and ketoacidosis are both metabolic processes that involve the breakdown of fats in the body.

ketosis is a normal function.The body switches from being a carbohydrate-burning organism into a fat-burning one. ketoacidosis is deadly and happens when there are elevated levels of acids(ketones)in the blood.when insulin levels are too low and the liver attempts to restore energy by metabolizing fats and proteins due to a lack of available carbohydrates.

such harmful diets as Atkins that keep the body in a constant state of ketosis places stress on the kidneys as well as elevating cholesterol levels...

how'd i do boss?? gotta go mow the yard...i'll check i later for my grade ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Low carb diets help, not hurt kidneys.

Low carb diets improve cholesterol.

Ketoacidosis is associated with untreated Type 1 Diabetes, caused by a lack of insulin. eleventeen, if you are type 1 and are not taking insulin, you should be taking it, not choosing not to. Sometimes there is what is called a honeymoon period where your body produces insulin, but if you are type 1, the honeymoon will soon be over and you will have to go on insulin.

·
Registered
633 Posts
There you go. Insulin is the key factor as it is a metabolic hormone that has only one function. That function is the storage of and usage of fats and sugars. Without any insulin you will get elevated levels of both glucose and fatty acids. High glucose is not good but ketoacidosis is deadly and does kill people.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
28 Posts
There you go. Insulin is the key factor as it is a metabolic hormone that has only one function. That function is the storage of and usage of fats and sugars. Without any insulin you will get elevated levels of both glucose and fatty acids. High glucose is not good but ketoacidosis is deadly and does kill people.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes
:D:D:D:D thanks love

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for late reply but I'm on vacation now and I don't read forum.

Did I read correctly that you (the OP) are a Type 1 diabetic who takes no insulin?
Some tests need to be done, but it's possible that I'm type 1 (well, LADA but it's almost the same). I don't take insulin but with LADA for some time my body produce some insulin so it's easier to keep low BG without injections.

Ketoacidosis is associated with untreated Type 1 Diabetes, caused by a lack of insulin. eleventeen, if you are type 1 and are not taking insulin, you should be taking it, not choosing not to.
My current average BG is about 95 and a wake up with 75. Are you sure that I should take insulin? It would probably mean hypoglycemia or I would have start to eat more carbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts