The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I found a review on another diabetes site (you know who you are - ;)) and tried 'em tonight . . . I think they're worth forwarding!

Low-Carb Doughnut Recipe - Low-Carb Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Doughnuts

Doughnuts That Taste Doughnut-y
Hi Shanny, in the same diabetes forum there are recipes for low carb muffins and low carb pancakes. My wife made those muffins and pancakes using almond flour (and a little flax flour) and fresh blueberries. They were very tasty. Once she made the muffins with butter (as given in the recipe) and next time she used coconut oil in place of butter. Both were yummy but I liked the coconut oil version more.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi Shanny, in the same diabetes forum there are recipes for low carb muffins and low carb pancakes. My wife made those muffins and pancakes using almond flour (and a little flax flour) and fresh blueberries. They were very tasty. Once she made the muffins with butter (as given in the recipe) and next time she used coconut oil in place of butter. Both were yummy but I liked the coconut oil version more.

Regards,
Rad
I like coconut oil in mine, too!

Donuts ... not so sure. I have no talent for deep-frying, and PUFAs are not good for us ... :confused:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

Regards,
Rad
Rad, which muffins did your wife make that you enjoyed so much? I would like to try a recipe I know other people have had good luck making. My husband has a fondness for muffins to carry in his lunch to work :)

Strawberry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Rad, which muffins did your wife make that you enjoyed so much? I would like to try a recipe I know other people have had good luck making. My husband has a fondness for muffins to carry in his lunch to work :)

Strawberry
Hi Strawberry, the blueberry muffin recipe is at Blueberry Muffins .

My wife first used butter in these recipes and on another day she used coconut oil. Both were tasty, but I liked the coconut oil version more.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made a new batch of these "doughnuts" today, but this time I didn't deep fry them because I wanted to circumvent the sogginess from so much oil. I put a few in the skillet with a pat of butter, and they fried up like little pancakes - still nice & light, but not puffy.

I put the rest in a 375F (190C) oven for about 10 minutes. The oven ones weren't puffy either, but they might have been if I'd watched a little closer, because it looked like they had puffed up & then fallen . . . they were still cakey. I buttered them like a regular pancake & dusted with erythritol crystals. I think you could frost them like little cookies, which is what snusnuMV did with her first batch.

One tweak I made with this batch, and it's because I always use jumbo eggs, was to delete the extra water so the batter wouldn't be too thin.

I'm going to keep tinkering with these - they're very quick to fix & a nice pick-me-up!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have not experimented with these yet, but I made a GLORIOUS bluffin muffin, yest. -- 2 TBS CO (yes TWO) 3 TBS flaxmeal, 1 TBS cocoa powder, 1 TBS Torrani choco syrup, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and an egg. I melted the CO and then stirred everything else into it.

Gonna make another, today.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Okay not sure where I found this adaptation, THOUGHT it was Shanny's:

5 TBS Vanilla protein powder
5 TBS flaxmeal
2 t melted CO
2 eggs
2 TBS Torani syrup (Vanilla in my case
2 t baking powder
1 t vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
use cream, almond milk waddevah to loosen it up

Fry as pancakes in coconut oil, slather with butter ... my husband and son ate about half the batch, or I would have eaten it ALL! They were fragrant, and crispy! And the half I ate was VERY filling ... made these about 4 pm, and then skipped supper!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then this is the answer for getting a crisp cookie . . . my adaptation gives more of a soft cookie result. Yay! We can haz cookies! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts