The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read a lot here about low carb diets, which makes sense to me, but i am confused why the dietition tells me no. i have to believe there is something to both sides. i can't believe as some had suggested that most dietitions shy away from low carb cause that is what they were taught.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I presume it may be because they are accredited and need to remain that way, so they have to preach the 'party line' until it is changed. Many doctors don't feel the same, but then they are free agents it seems. Otherwise I can't imagine why they do, but they do! That's why I feel so lucky to be on my own in this.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
i have read a lot here about low carb diets, which makes sense to me, but i am confused why the dietition tells me no. i have to believe there is something to both sides. i can't believe as some had suggested that most dietitions shy away from low carb cause that is what they were taught.
Because of one man who perpetrated the biggest hoax in medical history, and his lies are still believed today.

Google Ancel Keys and the Lipid Hypothesis

The Greatest Scam in Medical History | Natural Health

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
What Pat and Shanny said!

If the standard diet hadn't backfired on me soooo thoroughly from Day One, I'd have a tough time believing it, too.

But my very first very-low-carb meal after diagnosis made me a believer. First time I tested under 160 at all, let alone after a meal.

Reactions: EmilyD1037

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think most of us grew up respecting our doctors and other medical professionals. I tried the diet they gave me, it just didn't work. So I took it upon myself to find another way. I am so glad I did. Whereas the mainstream medical community thinks an HbA1c of 7 is great, mine is 5.3 ( almost normal). In the end it is your body and if you are willing to live with higher bgs, higher HbA1c's and more complications like kidney failure, blindness, heart disese or stroke and neuropathy then go for it. Most dieticians feel you should eat grains and fruits and take more meds or insulin to compensate. Many of us have a different view.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i am going to give the Dr.s 90 days and see where it takes me. in the mean time i'll gather as much knowledge about diabetes as i can. my experiences with Dr.s has not been positive so it scares me big time that i have to depend on them now. i think it may be likely a year from now i'll be posting ''i tried to eat what the Dr.s said and it didn't work'' to someone new.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Why not to us in the meantime. It might help another newbie of a questioner?

Are you angry? We are all different and on the same path, but taking different ways to get to the same goal...normal or near normal blood sugars. There are different paths to the same goal.

In any case, good luck,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so up until now the only thing i have been told was how to eat, what to eat and what not. i have been given a few pamphets. no one has really explained what is happening to me. yes the Dr.s will answer questions, but me being so uninformed i can't even ask good questions, i don't know what to ask. the other thing that really gets me is i read everywhere how dangerous this is but eveyone acts like its no big deal. there has got to be a more comprehensive systematic way to walk someone new to this disease.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not to us in the meantime. It might help another newbie of a questioner?

Are you angry? We are all different and on the same path, but taking different ways to get to the same goal...normal or near normal blood sugars. There are different paths to the same goal.

In any case, good luck,
yes i'm angry.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Being angry is normal.

Start by throwing out all the crap in your house. Anything that is white, throw it out. Anything that is made with sugar, throw it out

Get out and exercise right now. Walking is a great form of exercise.

Walk for only a mile if you are struggling

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
yes i'm angry.
Oh, so was I. I was extremely sick, had collapsed, holding onto walls in the house, not kept food down for a week, and in ER they keep me until 2-3 AM and release me. All I knew about diabetes was that one shouldn't eat sugar, simple carbs were probably not good, and one could lose their feet. They sent me home with paperwork (which I could barely read) giving me the warning signs of diabetes and a prescription for 2,000 mg metformin.

I was referred to an endocrinologist in a neighboring town, and their office said the first opening was in 1.5 months. Finally I broke down crying - said I was sick and needed help because I hadn't a clue what to do. If they couldn't see me, please refer me to another office and I was willing to drive up to 3 hours. A diabetes educator saw me the next week, the endo in 10 days.

I remember thinking this was a sorry way for someone with a common disease to get help. And that's before I knew how bad so much of the information I got was.

Mad? You betcha.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being angry is normal.

Start by throwing out all the crap in your house. Anything that is white, throw it out. Anything that is made with sugar, throw it out

Get out and exercise right now. Walking is a great form of exercise.

Walk for only a mile if you are struggling
all of that was done the day after the news.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, so was I. I was extremely sick, had collapsed, holding onto walls in the house, not kept food down for a week, and in ER they keep me until 2-3 AM and release me. All I knew about diabetes was that one shouldn't eat sugar, simple carbs were probably not good, and one could lose their feet. They sent me home with paperwork (which I could barely read) giving me the warning signs of diabetes and a prescription for 2,000 mg metformin.

I was referred to an endocrinologist in a neighboring town, and their office said the first opening was in 1.5 months. Finally I broke down crying - said I was sick and needed help because I hadn't a clue what to do. If they couldn't see me, please refer me to another office and I was willing to drive up to 3 hours. A diabetes educator saw me the next week, the endo in 10 days.

I remember thinking this was a sorry way for someone with a common disease to get help. And that's before I knew how bad so much of the information I got was.

Mad? You betcha.
i thought i had a bad way to go.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
None of us has a good way to go, really. In some ways, it's actually easier if one gets truly sick to begin with. No need to rely on imagination when you've got memory to guide you.

And angry? I started out angry. Got angrier. I'm still angry. No reason for that to change. For us, anger leads to health. Shouldn't be that way. But there it is.

This is such a complex disease. Every regimen must be tailored to the individual, and it's an epidemic. So many of us. And we cannot be treated in assembly line fashion.

We're difficult. Fine. I get that.

But, all too often, we are lied to. We're discouraged from seeking real answers. We're never told that, yes, diabetes demands that we each carve our own paths -- here's where to start. Come back if you have questions, or need meds adjusted.

I only get answers when I push for them. And, yes, coming up with all the right questions is one more obstacle.

Yes, I understand politics-as-usual. But I refuse to "get" that.

At some point, politics must stand aside, and humanity must take its rightful place. One would think so, anyway.

Thank The Force for this Forum.

Reactions: d33na and Shanny

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think its also because low-carb isn't intuitive. Our bodies are *designed* to store carbs in fat. we evolved when carbs were fairly limited in our surroundings (and there weren't many fast acting carbs at all), the only way we survived the cycle of feast and famine was to have the ability to convert every morsel of carb that we ate into fat.

We have now the ability (only for a few thousand years) to grow tons of refined carbs. And we eat it like there's no tomorrow - *because* that is what our bodies were designed to crave. But what it was *not* designed to do was to process hundreds of carbs a day. And therein lies the problem.

So while, the dieticians' outdated training has a role to play - the natural tendency to see carbs as being good for us (because our bodies crave it - a problem that can be solved by going low carb), and fats being bad (because brain says fat in diet equals fat in body - which has been conclusively proven to be BS) - is a big problem as well. They cannot see how high fat and low carb can be good. And once they have a practice, they will just toe the "party" line, because to do otherwise is to cause turmoil in their own business - and who wants that?

I can say this with some experience - because I have a very close friend who is a registered dietician for diabetics - and while she is smart - she shows all the above tendencies in her arguments.

Yes, there are usually two sides to every story, but as you do more research (and not just read headlines on yahoo - but actual research papers), you will realize that the low-fat high-carb side of things has very very little merit.

Best!

Sufee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Change in lifestyle over the years surely has to be taken into account.
Just in my lifetime:
My grandparents and parents did not have a car so walked to work or went on bicycle.
They did not have frozen, processed food.
Work was more of manual labour, burning up those carbs.
As children we were never in, always out playing football or other energetic games.
etc, etc

In my case I have to say my young (in comparison to me!) diabetes nurse takes a sensible approach when advising me on my diet. Early days for me yet but my thinking is that if I take a sensible and responsible approach to my diet then so will she.

All the best

Bill

·
Registered
162 Posts
Regarding "The Greatest Scam in Medicine", more information on the "real" cause of heart disease-- that is --inflammation-- would be appreciated. What is it and what is its cause and why does it trump the common cardiology explanations of the day?

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is such a complex disease. Every regimen must be tailored to the individual, and it's an epidemic. So many of us. And we cannot be treated in assembly line fashion.
I just recently switched doctors and one of the things I really liked about my new doc was when I was telling her about some pains I was having and how I thought it could be related to my gallbladder because a friend of my kinda had the same problem and it was her gallbadder... and she stopped me and said, "Yeah, but that's not you, you're a diabetic and the book gets thrown out when you're diabetic, you are not like everyone else." I couldn't believe my ears! I think I'm really going to like this doctor!!! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts