The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagosed one week ago as type 2 bg345, also have high blood pressure 155/110.. so.... i have a quandry... I need to lose weight, control diabetes and lower blood pressure.. In order to lower my blood pressure I need to eat low fat... It seems like a lot of the posts I've read champion eating high fat and low carb which would probably kill me deader than a dead thing on dead day... I'm just confused and kinda lost cos I thought I knew where I was going with my diet

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was diagosed one week ago as type 2 bg345, also have high blood pressure 155/110.. so.... i have a quandry... I need to lose weight, control diabetes and lower blood pressure.. In order to lower my blood pressure I need to eat low fat... It seems like a lot of the posts I've read champion eating high fat and low carb which would probably kill me deader than a dead thing on dead day... I'm just confused and kinda lost cos I thought I knew where I was going with my diet
I was diagnosed on June 14 with type 2 and high blood pressure. I was put on glyburide for the bgs and lisinopril for the blood pressure. I went aggressively low carb/high fat and stopped taking the lisinopril after about 2 weeks. I still monitor and log my bp every day and since I've gotten my bgs down my bp is always in the normal range.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
That's the healthy ticket...low carb/high fat. If you want to lose weight, it'll get you there. My A1C was 6.9 a year ago and I was overweight, I went on Atkins and now my A1C was 5.1 or so, and I've lost 50 lbs and am at the perfect weight for my height. No meds except for asthma and high blood pressure which I've had to take for years!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It's a conundrum, to be sure.

I do low-carb, high-fat. All I can say is that my BP went down along with my blood glucose levels. But then, until recent years I had always enjoyed a low-normal BP, and I don't know your history. I'm back down to low-normal.

Low-carb definitely promotes weight loss, which can also help BP. (If you're on insulin, like I am, you're gonna need all the help you can get!)

Perhaps one answer would be not to go too high with the high-fat. Eat just enough to avoid feeling (or actually being!) starved. I find the real deal is more filling than low-fat, and I naturally don't eat quite as much.

Prepared foods labeled "low-fat" are usually made that way by adding carbs, sugars and chemicals ... and taking other nutrients away. These foods can do a really mean number on blood glucose levels while offering less satisfaction, and leading to a tendency to overeat.

Natural or whole foods, whether high or low in fat content, tend to be kinder to diabetic bodies (or, frankly, anyone's).

In addition to testing your glucose 1 and 2 hours after trying "new" foods, you may want to invest in a home BP test kit so you can keep track of both glucose and BP. Most drug stores and pharmacy departments carry them nowadays, if your insurance won't cover.

Reactions: fgummett

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It is a complete and total untruth that a high-fat diet correlates to high blood pressure. It's not the case, and has never been the case.

It was hypothesized that high-fat contributed to heart-disease, and before research was even complete (which later proved the hypothesis WRONG) governments adopted the low-fat/high-fiber mantra and pushed it on all of us.

The best thing you can do to lower your blood pressure is exercise and lose weight. Amazingly, against everything that MOST (but not all) doctors, dietitians and nutritionists will tell you, the BEST diet for weight loss is a high-fat/low-carb diet.

Unfortunately most medical schools still teach the incorrect information, because it takes literally decades for things to change in this field.

But don't worry - I lost 80lbs in barely 3 months eating high-fat/low-carb ... but I went a little hard on the exercise compared to most people... My blood pressure did drop (but not enough, unfortunately, to avoid medication) but my lipid profile improved tremendously. I no longer have high cholesterol, even though I eat a diet MUCH higher in fat (including saturated fat) than I previously did...

Most of us here share the same experience, being that low-carb/higher-fat = weight loss and improved lipid profile. So go for it!

Reactions: adiecain and wdmama

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I heartily agree with everything that's already been said - I've tried both ways & the low-carb/high-fat program is the absolute best method for both me (the diabetic in the family) and my husband (non-diabetic) who has lowered his cholesterol profile lower than it's been in 12-15 years by eating lc/hf the last coupla years.

As beefy has said, the myth of bad fat was deliberately foisted on the public 50-60 years ago by an unscrupulous researcher & it was picked up & converted to policy by too many governments who now are loathe to admit they were "had". Google ANCEL KEYS for the whole sordid story.

Do not be misled by the professionals who still adhere to this long disproven lie . . . try & test for yourself as we have - you'll be amazed at how fast low-carb/high fat drops your blood glucose, your weight, your cholesterol and your blood pressure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hear you there! I was diagnosed 1.5 years ago with a BG of 32 mmol fasting (576) I was given a pamphlet that basically told me to eat bread, and lots of carbs to "cover" the insulin that I was taking. My numbers were all over the place, and I could not keep them under control until I took matters in my own hands and did my own reading.

I read the book, "The Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Bernstein, and it opened my eyes. Now, I am not one to just up and believe anything that I read, so I gave it my own test.

After a couple fo weeks, I started having "normal" BG readings. (With insulin of course, I am a type 1 LADA) Thing was, I was so sensitive to the insulin, it forced the educators to teach me about the sliding scale, and the rest is history.

The best thing you can do is just test something out for 30 days, see how you react, and go from there. Despite what doctors and nurses tell you, (unless you are in the ICU,) 30 days of a LC/HF WILL NOT KILL YOU.

Eat to your meter, and then use your own logic to determine your eating habits. As usual, the DOC is here to help if you have any questions. In the end, we can only offer advice, as it is you who has to follow it in the end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It really is about re-educating yourself isn't it? The more I read and the more you tell me the more confident I feel in taking a leap into something that goes against all that's been drummed into us over the years. I took the leap at lunch time thanks to you guys and will keep you informed how I get on.. Thanks for your encouragement .

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but I've upped the fibre, minimized bread products, increased fruits and vegetables and gone leaner with protein. I pair protein with natural cabs for snacks. I never feel hungery. The results: I've lost 50 lbs, am healthier then I have ever been and am totally off diabetes medication. My doctor says that if I had not been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I wouldn't be now. Fats have more calories and I despise the taste of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.