The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,873 Posts
With mean numbers of 196 g of carbs and 62 g of protein, this does not fit my definition of LCHP. Just believe our conclusion is something I don't do well.

And they expect us to overlook the high probability of erroneous conclusions.

Quote from the Strengths and limitations of study:"Among the weaknesses of the study are concerns about misclassification of dietary exposures, particularly as diet was assessed at enrolment only and was self reported through a food frequency questionnaire, which, however, is a standard practice in large cohort studies. With respect to capturing seasonality of consumption, participants were enrolled in a time frame longer than one year, and we expect that seasonal variation was balanced and therefore largely accounted for. In any case, errors in the ascertainment of diet are generally not correlated with errors in the ascertainment of incidence of cardiovascular disease and, hence, are unlikely to generate substantial confounding. The long interval between exposure and outcome is a source of concern, because certain participants may change their dietary habits during the intervening period. However, this is more likely to generate non-differential misclassification and, thus, attenuate the evaluated association. In fact, we saw a tendency for the incidence rate ratios to decline with longer follow-up. Information on waist:hip ratio was missing for a large fraction of the cohort, and data on drugs for cardiovascular diseases were not available (the relevant registry was not operational during most of the follow-up period). Finally, we did not have data on blood cholesterol, an important risk factor for cardiovascular diseases, but even if such values were available, they would probably be, at least partly, intermediates in the association between diet and incidence of cardiovascular disease. As in all observational studies, residual confounding cannot be confidently excluded, but our control of potential confounders is as effective as that in other cohort studies with similar objectives."

I know how I read this, and its at least 180 degrees out of sync with what they say. I think it says MPHC increase your chance of keeling over.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I clicked. Pardon me while my head finishes swiveling around on my shoulders...

Okay, all better now.

I thought of a lot of things to say...

I think I will hold it down to:
The authors' repeated assumption that vegetable protein is healthier than animal protein makes me wonder who funded this study.

And, breaking such a large cohort into centiles certainly makes the, admittedly complex, analysis easy to read. But breaking such a large cohort into 10ths also serves to mask, average, or hide some of the information that might have been interesting and relevant. Chuckle, back in the dear old golden school days, I was very good at influencing outcomes by manipulating data distribution.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Now Nancy - you're beginning to sound almost as cynical as me. :rolleyes:

Shame on you to even consider that the study was funded by a group with a vested interest and that they would stoop to manipulating the data to make any meaningful conclusions difficult.:juggle:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now Nancy - you're beginning to sound almost as cynical as me. :rolleyes:

Shame on you to even consider that the study was funded by a group with a vested interest and that they would stoop to manipulating the data to make any meaningful conclusions difficult.:juggle:
OMG, do you all really think I believe this crap?! ;). Really ;)
I just wanted to share what I found, this came into an email that I get from the NEJM as a side bar.

Thanks for thinking that I am completely nuts... It made for a good chuckle :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion!

And the study is a reminder that for each step we move forward, someone also moves in some other direction.

Reactions: Nanlou1964
1 - 10 of 10 Posts