The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I still do okay with Dreamfields, but a lot of people don't. Whenever you try it, don't go hogwild, and be sure to keep testing several more hours after your meal - it can take a long time to hit bottom if it's going to.

I don't go by their directions - I deduct two full minutes from their cooking time, regardless which type/shape I'm using. If it says cook five minutes, I cook it three minutes - timing from the second I first drop it in the boiling water, and I drain it just as fast as I can get to the sink with a colander, and sometimes I run cool water over it to make SURE the cooking action stops. But I haven't had trouble using it in salad or reheating it. Just keeping my fingers crossed & not overdoing it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I can't eat it, even if I cook it WAY less than al-dente ... which I believe is called "al-chewe" ...

Although the manufacturer stands by their "net carbs" claim, subtracting something they call "protected carbs" (which isn't a scientific term anywhere...) their claims are being repeatedly refuted in independent testing many times.

It seems there is a small segment of the population that doesn't spike on Dreamfields. The rest of us do. I think it's possible those at Dreamfield's that did their studies used data like Ancel keys did in his 7 countries study ... which was originally like 22 countries... Just drop the data of those that don't fit :)

That being said, you'll only know how it affects you after testing. And as Shanny said, test LOTS. When I ate Dreamfields I didn't spike much at all at my 45 minute mark... but by 2hrs I was at what I consider high, and got even HIGHER at the 3 and 4 hour marks (into very unhealthy ranges) than my 2 hr mark... It lingers, it seems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My bg was fine 2 hrs. after eating Dreamfield's, but 4 hours and even 6 hours after eating, my bg was sky high. I like it, but unfortunately I'll have to live without pasta.

Froggy

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I cooked mine aldente and had grea 2 hour bgs - 102. But for the heck of it I tested at 3 and 4 hours and I was 148 and 198. Also never reheat it the next day for lunch. I think whatever way they locked in the carbs probably disintegrates once it enters your intestines and breaks down very slowly. I would rather see a 2 hour spike and then get back to normal then stay high for 5 or 6 hours. I've learned to live without pasta and really don't miss it. Instead I julienne zucchini or yellow squash or even eggplant. Spaghetti squash is also a good option. I have heard some D's use cabbage as a pasta.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it was to good to be true..... I was hoping for a good report. Oh well...

bugg:pdisappointed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts