Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Low-Carb Pumpkin Pie

34K views 70 replies 30 participants last post by  chargette 
#1 · (Edited)
1½ c. solid pack pumpkin (or equivalent in butternut squash)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 c. Splenda ( 18 packets or 18 drops of EZ-Sweetz)
1/2 t. salt
1¾ t. pumpkin pie spice
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream

Mix all ingredients well and pour into well-buttered pie pan or ramekins. (Or make a nut crust & pour into that.)

Bake at 350F (175C) for 30-40 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

And y'know what? You can also blend in a chunk of cream cheese to this filling, and it's nothing short of divine! :love:

#2 ·
1½ c. solid pack pumpkin (or equivalent in butternut squash)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 c. Splenda ( 18 packets or 18 drops of EZ-Sweetz)
1/2 t. salt
1¾ t. pumpkin pie spice
3/4 c. heavy whipping cream (use evaporated milk, for less fat but more carbs)

Mix all ingredients well and pour into well-buttered pie pan or ramekins. (Or make a nut crust & pour into that.)

Bake at 350F (175C) for 30-40 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Wow...that was quick...I will give this to my Mom!

#4 ·
This sounds really good. I will try for Halloween!

#7 ·
I've made this pie before. I remember how good it it was!
Thanks for the reminder!

#9 ·
On Monday we are supposed to go to my son's (who also has Diabetes) for dinner and Pinochle. I want to bring a crustless pumpkin pie for dessert. When I made this before, it held together fairly well, but all of the slices fell in half when trying to get them out of the pan.

I am wondering if I add an extra egg, would it hold together better without compromising the taste and texture? I figure more experienced cooks would know the answer.

#16 ·
ok an Aussie question....we dont use pumpkin in sweets at all...so

1. what amount of boiled pumpkin would one use instead of a can (as we dont sell them)

2. what spices go into making pumpkin spices

pretty please

edit...ooops I reread the recipe 1.5 cups...I figure thats the cooked amount squished...lol...Im having an odd day

Reactions: div2live
#18 ·
d33na, you won't be sorry if you make this. Pumpkin pie is awesome, but you really need to top it with sweetened whipped cream to get the full effect, and it is best when eaten cold. I tried making pumpkin pie from scratch one time but I didn't know there is more than one type of pumpkin. I used a pumpkin that is supposed to be used to carve out jack-o-lanterns and the end result wasn't good. You have to use the pumpkins that are sold in grocery stores for cooking.

Here are instructions on how to prepare the pumpkin for the pie.

When I make Shanny's recipe, I use a can of pumpkin, which is about 2 cups, and it comes out great.

Here is a recipe for making your own pumpkin pie spice.

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

#19 ·
thank you so much :)...I guess we should make it for Thanksgiving

Reactions: div2live
#20 ·
And Deena? If you can't get pumpkin, you can use butternut squash if that's available. Several years ago we had such a squash crop that I resolved to use squash instead of having to buy pumpkin. We were having Thanksgiving with my sister in Arkansas that year . . . my everlovin' husband said he wouldn't even eat the "squash" pie, and my sister wasn't her usual supportive self either. Everyone is just too taken with the notion of PUMPKIN pie! My ornery-old-broad response was "I'll show YOU guys!"

Those pies turned out the best I'd ever made. When we got to my sister's house, we were moving the pies from the cooler to the fridge & I tempted her to slice off a small wedge. So we sat there the night before Thanksgiving, sampling the squash pie, and she's saying "I could sit here & eat the whole pie right now!" By the time dessert came around with Thanksgiving dinner, everlovin' had heard the news, and though still skittish, he conceded to try it after all. And then he still wouldn't give it up - he was convinced we'd switched pies on him & that he was eating "real" pumpkin. Silly old man. :D

#22 ·
they sound amazing...

oh we have pumpkins but not in a can...and I love squash...I guess because we don't have thanksgiving the whole pie thing never really made it here but I'm happy to give anything tasty a try :)

Reactions: foxl
#21 ·
There are rumors once again this year of a pumpkin shortage, so all of us might have to end up using butternut squash for pies. I don't know if the shortage is of jack-o-lantern pumpkins or cooking pumpkins or both, the news I saw was not specific. There were rumors of a shortage last year, but there was still plenty around here, and plenty so far this year.

Froggie

#23 ·
Oh my, Shanty, this pumpkin pie is INCREDIBLE!!
I don't usually make any of the diet desserts because they always disappointment me - since I am a die-hard sugar addict!!

But, I thought this sounded like it might actually take sweet and it DOES!!
This is just too good to be true.
This breaks every rule in the book.. :) namely, that anything that tastes good MUST be bad for me.

This is my supper tonight!!
Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.

#25 ·
Pumpkin pie is my all time favorite dessert.....!!!! How come I haven't seen this earlier??! I could just kick myself.

Stealing with wonderful beautiful delicious recipe from you :)

THANKS!!!!

Reactions: Shanny
#32 ·
There is nothing wrong with making a double recipe, putting 1.5 of it into a large quiche earthenware baker, .5 into a large ramekin, baking, putting the large out to cool, tasting from the ramekin, then .... er ... dishing out hot pumpkin custard and pouring some leftover whipped cream on top.

Nothing at all.

At least I dished it out.

#33 ·
Moon, you crack me up! I love reading your posts. I wish we could all meet because you remind me of me!

I made the secret chocolate cake tonight, and it is wrapped and waiting for tomorrow (or later today I guess...it is almost 12:30 a.m. here). I am going to make the frosting for it, but I won't frost until before I leave for my sister's for Thanksgiving dinner. I also made the low carb pumpkin cheesecake with an almond nutcrust. The chocolate cake smells absolutely delicious and looks so rich and decadent. The pumpkin cheesecake was making me drool! It is in the frig right now for the overnight chilling. I also made the sweet potatoes (that I won't be able to eat!) and they will be popped in the oven tomorrow for baking. I make my sweet potatoes candied, so lots of butter and dark brown sugar. So the combo of potatoes and dark brown sugar is a big time no-no for me. I might just have a tablespoon full of them, but it is a big might. I for sure can't wait to dive into the chocolate cake or the pumpkin cheesecake. I'll let you all know how well they go over with the family. I'm not telling anyone about the chocolate cake being made from black beans. They know already that I'm bringing low carb, high fat, sugarfree desserts. I'm anxious to taste these as well.

Happy Turkey Day to all of you here on the forum. I'm very thankful for all of you...my new diabetic friends. Thanks for all your support, opinions, discussions, help, and love. Hugs to all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.