The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still confused with the definition of low carb for me, Howmuch quantity of carb should be in one meal for me.

My A1c was 6.7 on 12th Dec,11 and Now I am taking metformin (500mg * 4 a day ). Nowdays my FS and PP bg are in range. My last reading was 95 and 105.

Can anyone suggest ?

Also, I have seen a lot of low carb diet in this forum. I am Veg and can not go to Meat etc. for some reason. Can someone suggest me low carb Indian Veg diet ?

Thanks
Manu

·
Registered
556 Posts
How much quantity of carb should be in one meal for me.
All of us are different, so each of us has to let our meter determine how many carbs we can eat per meal. If you test your bg 1 and 2 hrs. after eating, then eliminate the foods from your diet that spike you, it shouldn't take long for you to determine how many carbs and which foods you are able to eat.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The nice thing about Low Carb is you make your own diet depending on your bgs. In general a diabetic should never go above 120-140 , 2 hours after a meal. I set my goals a little lower more like 110 after meals. So I have to keep my meals under 10-15 carbs to stay in that range. If you have more pancreatic function you may be able to go a little higher. It is a lot of trial and error. By doing this I was able to get my HbA1c down in the low 5's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am Veg and can not go to Meat etc. for some reason.
I'm vegetarian too, and unfortunately with diabetes it is a handicap. Most vegetarian food is higher carbs. The exception is tofu which has 3 grams of protein for each gram of carb.

Beans are mostly higher in protein than rice, but it depends on the type, and they are all different. I'm slowly switching over to them.

Textured vegetable protein is also good. The batch I have has about 40% more protein than carbs. I got a case of it from Amazon and have been working through it steadily. It cooks in no time. I got some without any of the flavors and add my own spices. If I stir fry vegetables, I'll almost always add some.

I've also read that hi carb diets have a higher cancer rate than high protein diets. Another incentive.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Low carb to me means under 50 gms a day, but that is my goal.

For Indian vegetarians, I'd suggest a lot ghee, butter, cream with or in between foods. All green vegetables & raw salads are pretty good. Some of the dressings do not impact BG. Basically you have to lower your intake of roti & rice.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Also, I have seen a lot of low carb diet in this forum. I am Veg and can not go to Meat etc. for some reason. Can someone suggest me low carb Indian Veg diet ?
Manu.

If you have a north(ish) Indian diet ere are you options.

1. Nearly all cooked vegetables in Indian style. Just avoid putting in potatoes, carrots and peas

2. Dals (pulses) and chickpeas (white and brown) in limited amounts (eg one bowl per meal)

3. All paneer dishes

Actually the only things you need to leave are rice, rotis and other breads, most other things you can still have...

Here's a low (er) carb alternative may to make rotis....

1) 25 gm whole wheat flour
2) 25 gm Oat bran
3) 25 gm Wheat bran
4) 20 gm Flaxseed powder (you'll get it at any organic store - just search organic stores in your city on google)
5) Add some Daikon (mooli) or Fenugreek leaves (methi) if you like for flavor

Knead the above into a dough. This should give you 5 rotis with about 9-10 carbs per Roti with lots of fiber. You can have 2 of these a part of a meal of 30 carbs or one a part of a meal of 15 carbs

You can also fry the roti's in ghee and make parathas have with a non carb thing like paneer or palak paneer Yum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts