The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pre-ordered this cookbook last month and it arrived in the mail this week. It is authored by all our favorite LC people. I've just been browsing through the recipes and they do look good. There is a nice intro by Jimmy Moore. This is the first book in a series so I think I will have a new collection of recipes. This week I cleared out my bookshelf and donated all those Low Fat, High Carb cookbooks to charity.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I pre-ordered this cookbook last month and it arrived in the mail this week. It is authored by all our favorite LC people. I've just been browsing through the recipes and they do look good. There is a nice intro by Jimmy Moore. This is the first book in a series so I think I will have a new collection of recipes. This week I cleared out my bookshelf and donated all those Low Fat, High Carb cookbooks to charity.
Cool! I have wanted to get it but it's sold out on Amazon. Did you pre-order directly from their site?

As you try out recipes and evaluate the book, I would love to hear your reactions.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone on another Diabetes site posted a link in October. I know they have had a huge response to the book so they may be doing another printing. My order was processed through Eureka Publishing. People that ordered in October are just getting their books, now. What I like about it is they tell you where to get all the ingredients. They have a good baking mix combo that they use for a lot of their breads, pancakes, crackers, etc. I always wonder when I pre order things whether they will be worth it. Some of the recipes I have seen on their different sites but I was introduced to some new LC authors. It also gives you a list of all their websites.

Reactions: Bugg

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Oh that looks great - I just ordered it. Finally a cookbook one doesn't have to navigate around the recipes, just make choices like in the old days about whether it sounds good or not!

Look forward to getting this one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Someone on another Diabetes site posted a link in October. I know they have had a huge response to the book so they may be doing another printing. My order was processed through Eureka Publishing. People that ordered in October are just getting their books, now. What I like about it is they tell you where to get all the ingredients. They have a good baking mix combo that they use for a lot of their breads, pancakes, crackers, etc. I always wonder when I pre order things whether they will be worth it. Some of the recipes I have seen on their different sites but I was introduced to some new LC authors. It also gives you a list of all their websites.
Does this cookbook include the carb count for those of us using insulin? It sounds really interesting.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nothing to say about the book yet.

but I sure didn't ever notice you where/are MOD lol :redface:

It just happened yesterday

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this cookbook include the carb count for those of us using insulin? It sounds really interesting.

Yes, it does do carb count. But most of the recipes are under 5 carbs, my kind of cookbook.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you guys gonna convince me to buy another cookbook after all these years? Even after #4 son cleaned out my 45-year accumulation last year when he was here helping out during my retinal detachment episode? (he said they were dusty - not being used - so he dumped them all in a plastic bag & stuck 'em in a closet!
)

I can't believe I'm contemplating the purchase of a cookbook again; I haven't gotten a new cookbook in YEARS! And yet I am. And yet in fact, I awreddy DID! Whatever would we do without Amazon? ;) It's just too too easy! heheh!

(and if my sis buys this for herself from her employer, Barnes/Noble, before I can give it to her at Christmas, I'll just have to keep it for myself, right?)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you guys gonna convince me to buy another cookbook after all these years? Even after #4 son cleaned out my 45-year accumulation last year when he was here helping out during my retinal detachment episode? (he said they were dusty - not being used - so he dumped them all in a plastic bag & stuck 'em in a closet!
)

I can't believe I'm contemplating the purchase of a cookbook again; I haven't gotten a new cookbook in YEARS! And yet I am. And yet in fact, I awreddy DID! Whatever would we do without Amazon? ;) It's just too too easy! heheh!

(and if my sis buys this for herself from her employer, Barnes/Noble, before I can give it to her at Christmas, I'll just have to keep it for myself, right?)

Just last week I cleaned out my 40 year collection of cookbooks. I decided to donate all my old Diabetes cookbooks, all the low fat ones and definitely the Dean Ornish ones. I am a sucker for cookbooks and over the years have signed on to those pesky cookbook clubs. I hate to imagine the money I spent on them. I packed up about 75 cookbooks and donated them to a charity. Now if I can only convince my hubby to clear out his bookcases. He was an English major in college and grad school, so he has saved every book since the early 70's. He is an avid reader and probably reads a couple books per week and he never gives them away. Luckily all our kids are gone and we have turned their rooms into libraries.

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Now if I can only convince my hubby to clear out his bookcases. He was an English major in college and grad school, so he has saved every book since the early 70's. He is an avid reader and probably reads a couple books per week and he never gives them away. Luckily all our kids are gone and we have turned their rooms into libraries.
Does THAT ever sound familiar! Old woodchopper has every textbook he ever owned & a few antique ones which belonged to his grandfather of the same profession. He buys books regularly whether the budget can stand it or not. Where I have been an avid recreational reader my entire life, he only developed the recreational aspect in recent years. Until then, his reading was all in "study" mode, regardless of the subject matter. His recliner is flanked by stacks of the books he's presently reading & a magazine rack for the periodicals. Do you think for one minute that he ever disposes of the periodicals? Not on your life. I get saving National Geographics, but Time magazine? C'mon! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've taken upon myself to dispose of the old periodicals. We had stacks of old
NY Times Book Reviews dating back 10 years. I finally convinced him to go through a lot of his Business Books and periodicals. With the Internet now he could have access to almost anything he might need some day. But he has all his college notebooks and all his books with notes scribbled in the margins. Whenever one of our kids would have a paper due he would always go grab an old tattered notebook and help them with their papers. We have books double and triple stacked on all our book shelves and stacked in corners everywhere. I'm not sure what we will do if when we decide to downsize to a smaller condo.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Sigh ... no kindle version, yet.
I got a cookbook on Kindle and found it really difficult to use. But it was a free one, maybe when you actually pay they're better indexed!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What are the average number of grams of sugar, fat and protein should be consuming daily in ratio to the number of carbs?

There is no one answer to your question. I like to watch the total carbs in each meal, not just the sugar. I try to choose recipes that keep my total carbs between 5-15 per meal. The time of day matters for me. In the morning I may only eat 2-3 carbs while at lunch sometimes I can handle a few more. The fat and protein will differ too. I eat low-moderate amounts of protein. I don't like to go over 21 grams per meal, usually much less. That means about 2-3 oz of meat. Most of my protein comes from nuts , eggs, small amounts of beans and small portions of meat. I don't stay away from fat. Actually I found including 15-25 grams of fat in a meal helps stabalize my bgs and it keeps my morning numbers low. Again most of my fat comes from nuts, cheese, coconut oil, oilve oil, etc. A lot of figuring out your specific balance will depend on how your body treats different foods. Many find too much protein may raise bgs 4-5 hours later.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts