The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,057 Posts
I believe Muck is saying that he is only getting his carbs from veggies...no starches. However, with that said, you do need to watch your veggies as well because some have higher carbs than others. Also, the others are correct that when you bring your bg's down quickly, it can cause other body functions to go a little wacky until your system adjusts to the lower numbers. Hopefully Muck you are checking and testing your bg's alot while going to drastically down with eating habits. It is very important that you know whether you are going too low or high or normal. Your body must adjust and that takes a lot of energy so you might be feeling rather sleepy midday and your eyes are trying to get used to it. I know when my endo put me on insulin, she told me I would feel rather crappy for a good 3-6 weeks because my body had to get used to lower bg's. If it continues for too long, I would certainly have things checked out to make sure nothing else is going on. Otherwise, perhaps you can take some Vitamin D3, or some other supplement to help with energy. Keep us up to date on your progress. Take care.

· Registered
2,057 Posts
Smorgan currently reading the link you posted for me thank you, hard to get my head around that high fat is good, (hello cheese, bacon & eggs), yes I have probably increased my protein levels over the last week not to a great extent though, will need to work out my % of carbs, protein & fats, will have a look at apps on my iphone, I am so excited.

One question though, my cholesterol level was 8.6 I have managed to get it down with help from Crestor to 4.4, with a diet higher in fat than what I was normally having what effect will this have on my cholesterol??

I can see I will be spending most of today on computer

I am so grateful for the info & time that you & the others have given me many thanks :)
Muck, I also have difficulty with cholesterol and triglycerides being high. I also take Crestor for cholesterol, and at last count it was in a pretty good range, however triglycerides go hand-in-hand with blood sugar, so if one is high the other will be too. I do know that everyone here has seen significant drops in their lipids by using good saturated fat, and I am trying to do my best with that, but like you a little afraid :eek: I am hoping when I go back for blood work at end of November my lipids will show that improvement as well. I can tell you one thing I have noticed; I used to have "hot flashes" alot that I thought were associated with being perimenopausal. I'm not having those "hot flashes" like I used to. It really makes me wonder if it was more my high triglycerides causing the "hot flashes" more so than the perimenopause. We'll see. Only time will tell. I do however have to include more good healthy fats since I seem to still be struggling with getting my blood sugar down to normal range. It has certainly improved with the use of basal and bolus insulin, but I'd like to get it to normal range without having to pump more and more insulin in to do it. Hopefully I'll get there. Just need to really incorporate the fat more so than the protein and little bit of carb I am eating. I did not really realize until just reading some posts by smorgan and beefy that for every so many carbs you reduce, increase fat by so much. That just clicked in my head that I don't think I'm meeting that. I'll have to be more conscious of how much fat I'm eating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.