The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,078 Posts
The recommandation of protein here in Norway is between 1 gram and 2,5 gram for each kilo bodymass.
I am not active since I have lots of health issue, and need only 1 gram pr.kilo bodymass.
One of my sons who is an active long distance runner and compete much, exercise twice a day, and do Interval Training 3 times a week + has a fysical job, needs 2,5 gram protein for each kilo bodymass.
I don`t think it is a good thing to increase the protein to much as it really makes the kidney work hard.
Interesting. If I'm not mistaken, your 1g/kilo works out to exactly 16% with a 2000 calorie diet. The source for 16% is that in this country, that is the national average.

Beefy: OK, I get where you got your name now!

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Interesting. If I'm not mistaken, your 1g/kilo works out to exactly 16% with a 2000 calorie diet. The source for 16% is that in this country, that is the national average.

Using the 1-2.5g suggestions, if I take the high-end, at 2.5g/kilo for me, this is 255g of protein, or about 1020kcal from protein, which is about 30% of my normal intake right now. So I'm still slightly above that figure, but not much.

· Registered
1,095 Posts

I am 47 kilo and eat 2300 calories each day, but only 45-55 gram protein each day.
I need to eat at least 2300 calories each day, otherwise I lose weight, which I dont want to.

· Registered
3,078 Posts
I am 47 kilo and eat 2300 calories each day, but only 45-55 gram protein each day.
I need to eat at least 2300 calories each day, otherwise I lose weight, which I dont want to.
That's about 8.6% of calories from protein. I think every opinion I've ever seen would say that is way too low. There could be a risk of lean muscle loss at that rate.

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Naynay it is definitely a time for experimentation with food & to get the balance right with the correct % of C/P/F, its so great that we have so many helpful fellow members who have trialled & can pass on their experiences.

I guess only time will tell how the diet is not only affecting BS but also cholesterol etc, my next A1C not till end of Dec so I have time to make these changes & see what the results are.

My carbs are pretty low not sure how low as I havent kept track but I do know after reading these posts by the others that I am not having enough good fats, even so my BS numbers are lower than what they were previously so feel that Im on the right track.

My next goal is to know how much % of carbs/protein & fats are in each food I am eating so I can get it right.

I too am having hot flashes I put it down to my age.... but prehaps not...

Good luck in November, dont know bout you but I am always anxious to see A1C results almost like having sat an exam

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.