The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure whether or not you have a similar program in USA? But here in Oz we have a GI program that is endorsed by Diabetes Australia and other organisations.
I'm about to start this new diet tomorrow (FODMAP) and I know I can have potatoes, corn, oats, rice as my main source of carbs. I was interested to find 2x new products on our Aussie shelves... the low GI potato and white corn tortillas... that's gotta help with BGL control.
Lots of GI info on this site:
Link: The GI Symbol Program

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am not a big follower of the GI Index, because even the things under 10 are still not great for diabetics. I noticed this new potato has a rating of 55 which is still pretty high, in my opinion. Plus it said you had to undercook it to get the lower GI effect. Why not eat it raw. I can handle a very small amount of potato , about 1/4 of a potaoto. Can you have cauliflower on your diet. Many cook that and mash it and add sour cream and spices and swear by it.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi jwags... I'm on the FODMAP diet at the moment. I can't eat cauliflower and a whole pile of other vegies & fruit. I can't have wheat either. My choice of carb on this diet is corn, potato, rice, oats. Of course I can eat some fruits which have carbs. I'm not a big meat eater at all so I'm going to find this diet hard as I can't eat mushrooms or legumes either... so I'm going to have to increase my usual meat intake and eggs I suppose. I try and follow the low GI index myself when shopping as I'd rather a healthier carb option that I know isn't going to spike my BGLs too much... but again it's all about portion size. I eat porridge at the moment for breakfast (and maybe a bit too much) but my BGL normally between 5-7mmL a few hours after eating that so I don't think it's bad on my BGLs. It's all trial & error though as you know to find what works well and what doesn't. Potato with me is hard to predict as I can go high or low after having one. These low GI potatoes definitely a better choice than the usual.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am not a big follower of the GI Index, because even the things under 10 are still not great for diabetics.
I think you need to clarify that this statement may only be true under certain conditions. The way that your individual diabetes is treated is the true defining factor in wheather you can carbs that are higher on the glycimic index. I for one prefere simple carbs as they are more predictable and easier to cover with my insulin than are the more complex carbs. So please Jean refrane from making such geralized coments and direct them in the right direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts