The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 330pm I was at 145. Dinner was around 7pm and I checked it just now, 2 hrs later and I'm at a 70-77. (with 3 rechecks) I did the control solution which passed, I guess I have symptoms, kinda shakey, my mouth is dry and I feel "weird" Not at all like when it gets to 150. But usually it's this low at fasting (this morning it was 90) and I'm not on medication at all...did my body just over compensate for the lunch or am I crazy?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
70 is a good BG reading

a rapid change or levels lower than you are used to can give you a "low" feeling.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your body is accustomed to running higher, and now it's giving you some flack about controlling your BG. ;) Don't take any guff - 70 is a nice safe number. If you start dropping lower than that, keep some glucose tabs in your pocket along with your meter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was so weird! Lunch went from 90 to the 140s then had dinner starting out like 110 and 2 hours later it was a 70. I would have thought the mashed potatoes would have pushed it over, but if it's saving my pancreas then I'm happy

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The mashed potatoes prob'ly DID push it over . . . finding that number requires testing at ONE hour after your meal. By two hours you had dropped back down, and perhaps even had a rebound LOW because of going too high. (Am I making sense yet? :D)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What's a rebound low after going too high - I mean, how does that happen?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The potatoes are a fast-acting carb, so they can send your BG flying upward. That signals your body than insulin is needed to cover so much carbs, but in persons with diabetes (PWD), the system & the signals may be impaired, so the pancreas may function in fits & starts instead of smoothly, as in non-diabetic persons. This can result in too little insulin being delivered, allowing BGs to continue rising, OR too much insulin being delivered & dropping the BG too low. This is why diabetes is such a juggling/balancing act - trying to stay on an even keel & keep away from the wild swings requires close attention to the little details of our diets. Better to trim our carb intake than allow that particular train to leave the station, as it were! ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you are insulin resistant, like a lot of us, eating simple fast acting carbs like potatoes may spike you quite high, your pancreas responds by over producing insulin which sometimes hits all at once crashing your bgs. Sometimes it is the speed of the crash that causes this shakey feeling, not the bg in the 70's. I can usually tell when I get a surge of insulin, I get a sensation similar to a hot flash. This happens when I overeat carbs or even when I undereat and my liver decides to dump glucose. One thing about diabetes is it is always changing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think you just explained my mystery hot flashes. :smile: Thank you.

I'm too old for "those" hot flashes but I've been having the sensation frequently on waking, late afternoon and late evening - those times would fit exactly with insulin releases.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That makes sense now. I knew it was something but I didn't know what. It would *really* help me out of this thing was black and white. Either A.) or B.) Not well on the third month, of the 2nd day of the 4th year if you eat 2 potatoes blah blah but only in the morning. I hate the gray areas...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
on the third month, of the 2nd day of the 4th year if you eat 2 potatoes blah blah but only in the morning. I hate the gray areas...
Oh my . . . that is a perfect description! LOL!

And even then, if it worked once (eating 2 potatoes on the third month, etc. ;)) it's never a guarantee that it will work again the same way! :mad: Is it any wonder this disease drives us crazy?!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes!!! I hate that! Im finding out the hard way. I'm starting to think a higher power is just sitting above my head, elbowing someone elses higher power saying, "hahahah watch this" and God is rolling up a newspaper to smack them like my mom used to do when the dog pees on the carpet. It is driving me crazy! How am I supposed to tell my issues when last week it was obvious and this week it's like ohhh you silly hypochondriac. ****Edit*** should have kept my mouth shut, i'm at 155 currently. Now excuse me while I go wash the taste of foot out of my mouth

G

·
lol Jchase... you gave me a chuckle. :D Diabetes isn't really user friendly and I find there is nothing predictable about it... I suppose I have a stomach that contributes to that... but all the same it's not black and white. Plus you look at all the other stuff going on in your life and that could very well be impacting on your BGLs. If I hit 70 (3.8) I'd be having a hypo too. Anything under 81 (4.5) is risky for me. A hypo is a hypo and I've never been able to get my body 'used' to a hypo. I think it's important you learn what is the lowest BGL number you can safely go to for you... stats are just that and not everyone fits into those stat boxes. My endo wants me to stay above 90 (5) at all times as he considers this is 'safe' for me. There's no point on pushing yourself to the lowest number possible if you're off your face and driving your car and very capable of causing serious harm to others, not to mention yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts