The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to bed last night and woke up this morning with a blood sugar of 86 and shaking.is this normal while on the pump??my levels before the pump used to be in the high where it won't even register on my sugar tester to my lowest used to be mid 200 plz help should I go off of the pump is this normal????

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
How high have you been running since you got your pump? 86 is not a low, but it might feel like one since you're accustomed to running so much higher all the time. You've only been on the pump a short while, and I would think you should still be getting help getting the settings regulated. I know nothing about insulin or pumps, but I think there's basal testing to be done, and there are good books which outline this process in explicit detail - "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh is one, I believe.

And NO! You should not go off the pump! It's going to save your life! 86 is NOT low, even though it feels like it! :D

I'm backing out now because we have plenty of qualified people here to advise you on this - take care.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What Shanny has said is exactly right. It is only going to get better from here on out.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Everything Shanny said is correct. Your blood sugar levels are dropping so fast with your pumping that you are having a difficult time adjusting. If you lower your basal rates so that your levels stay about 150 or so, then that will be better temporarily. After a week or so you can gradually increase the basal rates so your body will adjust to the lower levels more easily. Since you are new to pumping you should get help from your endo or other pump expert.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts