The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a FYI (since i'm new 'round here and don't know if it been discussed) for anyone looking for a low sodium chicken broth/stock i perfer/recommend "Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Low Sodium Chicken Broth"
it's 0 fat, 70mg sodium (as low as you can go) 1gm carb, 0 sugar, and 45mg of potassium
i usually find it at walmart but the local market carries it in the "natural food" section
it's also gluten and dairy free, but not Kosher

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
The canned chicken broth is handy, and I use the Pacific Foods brand, although I get the one with salt. Since I render chicken fat* I will add it into the broth, or any other fat for that matter.

*I don't like to eat chicken skins so I remove them, but will simmer the skins in water for a half hour or so to render out the fat. Then I strain it into a bowl, and refrigerate to make the fat more solid and scrape that up and store it in the freezer for such a time as I want chicken fat.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Taipan61 and Msfranxie, I see that both of you are just starting out on low carb/high fat. Looks like you are trying to restrict your salt intake. Below is a quote from "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living". Reading the quote, it sounds like as long as you are eating low carb, you should up your sodium intake, but I have read posts here at the forum that say after you have been eating low carb for a while (length of time was not specified) from then on you can eat the amount of salt that your body tells you to eat. I don't know which one is correct, so I'll just throw the quote out to you and let you figure out what you need to do.

Quote:
Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can then lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On keto (low carb, high fat, moderate protein), we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Broth is the easiest solution.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use regular broth unless it would make the recipe taste too salty - then I use low-sodium. But Gizmo is correct - using the LCHF WoE often means we need more sodium.

One of the great things about LCHF is that we can eat it 'straight' - it fulfils our nutritional needs without a lot of work-arounds. Anything we ever got from carbs is also available from carbfree foods - notably dark leafy greens and fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, halibut, sardines, sablefish, catfish, oysters, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
An increase of salt is important in the first week or so of going on LCHF to ward off those flu-like feelings of fatigue, uckyness (this is a technical term, lol) and headaches.

I still will purposely eat some salt when I'm tired for no good reason and it perks me up most of the time.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
So if you get a headache, dizziness or fatigue, you eat more salt and that should solve the problem. Makes sense to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts