The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try a recipe I found for a no pasta, low carb lasagna. It calls for low sugar spaghetti sauce. I looked at my local grocery store and they did not have it. I seem to remember a "carb-smart" sauce at some point in the past. Do any of you know of a product like this? If so, do you recommend it or do you have a homemade substitution that is better for keeping bg low?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm not sure if this meets your carb requirements, but I use Rao's Marinara at 4 g carbs per 1/2 cup Image Gallery and as an aside am partial to this Image Gallery over spaghetti squash which is 5g carbs per 1/2 cup. I do add it to cooked ground beef and simmer a long while ...

There are other choices in that carb range (both Rao's and other brands) if that works for you. They don't spike me in the slightest, as long as the rest of my meal is no-to-low carb.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Whenever I make Chicken Parm or Eggplant parm, I make my own sauce with canned tomatoes. I just saute a little garlin, onion and a can of chopped organic tomatoes and add spices to taste. I know all tomatoes have natural sugar in them but they have no sugar added to make it sweet. Also I just checked my pantry and I found the Organic Contadina Sauce I buy at Costco is 4 carbs per 1/4 cup with 1 g fiber so 3 net carbs. I doubt you will find lower than that. On the label it does have organic sugar but not much. Also beware of the portion size, I noticed some of my tomato products count 1/2 cup as a serving and some 1/4 cup. Usually in Italian dishes most of the carbs come from the pasta. What recipe are you using. I've seen lasagne with thinnly sliced eggplant or zucchini.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I need to try a couple more stores, including Costco. It Is about time for another trip anyway.

I am making a lasagna that does not substitute anything in place of the noodles. It just has all the other yummy stuff.

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1.5 cup sugar free spag. Sauce
1.5 cups cottage cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 cup grated mozz.
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning

Brown beef with onion, add spag. Sauce
Pour 1/2 meat mixture into slow cooker
In a small bowl mix cottage cheese, egg, seasoning, beat with a fork
Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the meat
Sprinkle 3/4 cup of mozz over cheese mix
Repeat layers
Cover, cook on low for 4 a 4.5 hours

We shall see how it goes once I get my hands on some sauce.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I guess I need to try a couple more stores,
You're in NC - I get my Rao's at Ingles. It does have the lowest carb count I found, though I saw one or two others that were equal.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I went to our local grocery store today and spent a few minutes looking at all the cans. It pays to look. First I picked up some DelMonte Diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano. It was 10 carbs per 1/2 cup with 1 fiber. Then I picked up the DelMonte Diced Tomatoes, No Salt. They were 6 carbs per 1/2 cup with 2 fiber. When I looked at the ingredients of the basil, garlic and oregano I noticed there was corn syrup in it. So all tomatoes are not created equal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I usually make my own, but sometimes I just want to pour something out of a jar for convenience's sake. Netrition sells a brand called Bella Vita. I've ordered it many times. It tastes just as good as most jarred sauces, but frankly I prefer it better because it's not overly sweet. Tomatoes are so naturally delicious; I'll never understand why anyone would add so much sugar to something that already has enough sweetness and flavor.

Bella Vita Low Carb Pasta Sauces

1 - 8 of 8 Posts