The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diagnosed Type 2 first week of 2014 (A1C was 6.7) - was already eating low GI previous full year (was eating plenty of beans - yeah I now know that's a lot of carbs). Went full blown LCHF (actually started that several days or more before the diagnosis date above), and, at Dr's request, started Metformin 500 twice a day.

Took another set of labs this Friday (5/30/2014) and now A1C is 5.7!

I am very happy!

More details: my fasting glucose tests during the year before diagnosis were, say, around 105-120 (was not keeping an Excel spreadsheet at that time - now I do).

This last week I got a new lowest ever fasting reading of 84 (on 5/30) and on that same day I did that lab test in the morning while still fasting - it's result was an 87 - which checks nicely with my meter, so that has me feeling confident too! Also got an 89 (on 5/29, day before the test), and a 97 (on 6/1, that's yesterday). My meter is a One Touch Ultra Mini.

My weight at the doctor's office was 234 lbs on the date of the diagnosis, and today it is 206 now with very limited exercise, so the LCHF regimen did make a big difference to my weight loss requirement.

Of course I do (at times) miss my old carboholic days - I thought that stuff was soooo tasty, even if it was likely killing me!

Over-all my feelings are that the LCHF works great for me, so a super special Thank You to this group for providing the guidelines I needed and spending your time to get this out here on the net!!

:rockon:

TommyTechnololgy

·
Registered
837 Posts
Wonderful news! Some of the veterans in the 5% club should be on soon to congratulate you. Have you posted any menus? It could help some of us who need some variety but can't cook.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not much of a cook either. Mostly what works for me - in terms of keeping better glucose readings - is a diet of pretty much of meats and veggies - with fats on the veggies to make them taste great.

For the meats I count grams of protein and try to keep it under 70 for the day (using my current weight, I then got that number from the net by Googling "daily protein amount"). It is fairly easy to find the grams of protein for almost anything either from its package or from Google. Since I am not trying to avoid fats - I am a fan of 80/20 hamburger (farthest thing from lean I can get around here) and chicken thighs (dark meats are the fatiest).

I try to always lay down a layer of veggies under any hamburger meat I cook - cut veggies very large or they will cook into oblivion too fast. Add some tamari sauce, (it is soy sauce but is better than the cheap soy sauce due to being fermented and not having any wheat in it) and cook in a non-stick pan for 9-10 minutes at medium with a lid on. The beef fat soaks into the veggies and makes them super tasty! If they are cooked too much then cut them even bigger next time! Zucchini, peppers, and yellow squash are good for this project.

For chicken I have to finish cooking the meat and then cook veggies in the juices afterward or they would be mush if cooked in the pan as long as it takes for chicken to cook. I could add the veggies at a certain time but that takes strategy, not my thing... The good thing about adding the veggies separate when doing them in the chicken juices is that you can then cut them any size you like - so this is where I can go with very small size pieces - and they cook fast (4 minutes) and soak in even more of the juices!

Once I hit 70 grams protein for the day, the the rest of the day is only veggies, so I do try to pace myself because I like to end the day eating a meat before bed time. For some reason my next morning fasting number will be lower if the very last thing the night before was a zero carb food like meat or straight butter.

:)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Awesome news!! YOU ROCK!!!

Thanks for the cooking and protein advice. It will be appreciated (probably tomorrow for dinner).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Happy to help out. One thing that has made it easier is to totally avoid the starchy foods: Bread, rice, potatoes, cookies, corn... all the things from grains seemed to be preventing glucose levels from falling - so just say no to grains completely.

Not easy though, if you get hungry while out on the town, the vast majority of "snack" foods are made with grains. Try really hard to find just cheese sticks... don't just say "oh well, just one pack of crackers"... your glucose spike might be very much larger than you think. I am still experiencing tingling in my feet on some nights sleeping, which I feel might be residual neuropathy symptoms from back before I knew I had any glucose issues at all.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
'Just say no to grains completely' . . . this is some of the best advice we can give. Anything containing corn, wheat, rice, oats, barley, et.al., is just plain nasty for us diabetics. I wasn't convinced at the beginning of my journey, and spent many months easing into LCHF - trying to find a reasonable facsimile for bread - that would have been much more easily done if I'd only known what I know now. Grains are our enemy. Dumping those first makes the rest a snap!

·
Registered
346 Posts
You, Sir, are an inspiration, along with so many others here. I need to do more to keep my protein level down during the day. Thanks for the tips. I was diagnoses two months ago and can't wait for my next lab blood test.

·
Registered
801 Posts
String cheese is always my answer. Nicely packaged, stashes in purse or backpack, and keeps forever. Just have to make sure I don't pick up that evil "low-fat" version!

Welcome to the 5%!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I have at times gone into the McDonalds drive thru and ordered the dollar hamburger and then chomped down just the burger - waste of resources, I admit, since I am then tossing the wrapper, buns, bag... but hey, what can you do if you are starving and in a hurry? And you definitely do not want to eat that cheap white bread bun! It is the closest thing to truly "empty" fast burning sugar-like carbs that I can imagine at the moment!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couple of things that I have also discovered during this new food lifestyle:

1) I chose to stop eating nuts. The reason was that one day I had about 2 dozen little reddish brown kidney stones. They were not painful to pee out, but they were very unexpected and got me super worried. Took lab tests a few days later and all things were OK, lab-test-wise. So I hit up the great Google for some insights and after days of research came up with these ideas:

a) Some people reported being far more susceptible to kidney stones from the oxalates in nuts than others, so it is possible I am one of those(?)

b) Generally folks are advised that nuts should not be over-eaten... well, that is hard for me since I find them enticing and also my diet is basically proteins and veggies with fats - so nuts seemed like the perfect addition to all that. However, I later felt that having them around, and given my one event, was not the best thing for me for now. I reserved the right to change my mind again some day (any day, maybe....)

The second thing is: (2) I was not able to maintain really low, ketosis like, carb levels... Basically one day I realized I could not seem to think at all - felt like a moron! So I added back a few carbs to get a level at which my brain seemed to be functioning OK (as far as I can tell!) I now do add very small amounts of ketchup or Boars Head honey mustard to things I eat mid-day to get a few carbs here and there. I also like to eat a couple of the Lindor Extra Dark Chocolate Truffle balls (black bag), at 5 grams carbs each they are easy to keep track of. I eat them only one at a meal, right after a meat, which I think helps to buffer the effects.

Still, knock on wood, my current level of diabetes (my weight and glucose readings) seems to be doing OK with the small number of carbs that I am including in my diet... so, fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I too have a history of kidney stones, but I don't avoid nuts, apart from what I posted on another thread today about carb content. The things I really have to watch are things like spinach & rhubarb, although I make allowances for celery, and so far have not been harmed by my celery consumption. I haven't passed a stone in sixteen years, and if I never do again, it'll be too soon!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didn't know about celery... just now googling "celery oxalates" - after reading your post - I found a good page of info at whfoods. Looks like celery is not as high as some things like spinach. Need more reading...

I could go for a can of lightly salted whole cashews right now..... ;)

Imagine what it would be like to be a diabetic back when there was no Internet for folks to compare notes! I know I would be miserable as I have always been an information gatherer personality type. Of course I do kinda remember these places called libraries where people read books, but don't recall having seen one since high school....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, so according to your PDF, of all the things that I am eating, nuts are definitely on the highest oxalate list - so maybe they should remain on my do NOT keep stocked in my fridge list... and instead just be for an occasional treat...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts