The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I guess I'm wondering... is it enough to keep our numbers just under the limit, or is it important to get them as low as possible? If my fastings are in the 80s, and postprandial under 120 is that enough? Does it matter if my postprandial number is 95 or 114?

Just curious - hubby and I talk about it alot, because I get upset if my numbers are too close to my 2 hour limit of 120.

I think intellectually I know it's okay, but part of me thinks the lower the better (to a certain extent of course, you don't want to go hypo).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So, I guess I'm wondering... is it enough to keep our numbers just under the limit, or is it important to get them as low as possible? If my fastings are in the 80s, and postprandial under 120 is that enough? Does it matter if my postprandial number is 95 or 114?

Just curious - hubby and I talk about it alot, because I get upset if my numbers are too close to my 2 hour limit of 120.

I think intellectually I know it's okay, but part of me thinks the lower the better (to a certain extent of course, you don't want to go hypo).
I am not sure what the ranges are for women who are pregnant. If your fastings are in the 80's and your postprandial's are under 120, I think that is great! If your postprandial is 95 or 114, that is good as well.

The closer you are in your personal target range, the better. There is nothing wrong with tight control. I have set my own personal target ranges and my doctor approved them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

My doctor has set them at fasting under 90 and 2 hour postprandial under 120.

I just wondered if it was "the lower the better" - or are they equally as good as long as they're under 120 (or whatever your goal is).

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i think youre in a good range, especially your fasting number. your post eating number could be lower, but with the baby in your belly, i think it's just fine. but after the baby is born, time to keep the number under 100 :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
don't think its worth the added stress. follow your doctors orders. good luck!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Those numbers are great! I try keeping my PP numbers under 100 but I can only imagine that being pregnant adds some stress. I would stay with the advice of your doctor. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
depends what you want. for a diabetic those numbers are GREAT. But according to a few life extension magazine articles I have read anything over the 80s is bad news in the long run

·
Registered
40 Posts
The idea is to keep within certain limits. Going as low as you can is not always an option. What you should be focused on is keeping between ~5mmol/l and ~10mmol/l (that would be about 90-180 mg/dl). If you keep your BG at the lower half you will eventually end up less sensitive to hypo (if you keep at higher levels you will start feeling weak mainly and other symptoms as well at higher BG levels). Another thing we are always told and I always say the same to everyone:

Your first priority is to keep your BG stable. That said, having a BG of ~220 (those wondering 1 mmol/l is abbout 18mg/dl) then using a bolus to bring it down to let's say 90 for it to only rise up later back to 220 is actually worse than keeping an average of 180 etc. That said I repeat: keep it as stable as possible. Within the low levels it's ok, but if you step into the hyper make sure that after you bring it down, it stays down. Don't go overboard only to have a hypo and need to eat and get another hyper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts