The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post.
I've been diabetic for about 3-4 years now and haven't really had any serious problems before, but at the moment my blood sugars seem to be all over the place and i would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.

The main problem i am having is bouncing between lows and highs, it starts off with exercise which drops my levels a bit as the exercise can go for hours at a time, i would bring my levels up with some carbs and by the next meal my blood sugar would be high again.
I would take a few units extra to account for the highs and continue with my meals.
Then it starts all over and my blood sugar drops yet again.

Also my average is quite high before bed and around the time i take my basal? i recently have been needing to take a few extra units of fast acting insulin to bring it down which is bugging me.
All the exercise seems pointless in this situation and I am hoping to find a way around it.

Also i am on 17 units of Lantus at 9PM and anywhere between 3-10 units of Humalog during Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello this is my first post.
I've been diabetic for about 3-4 years now and haven't really had any serious problems before, but at the moment my blood sugars seem to be all over the place and i would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Welcome to DF. :D I have moved this thread to more appropriate place. Yes Diabetes is a yoyo afair and the understanding about food and know what that food can do for you is a major thing for us.
Do you know what is Carbohydrate counting is about?

The main problem i am having is bouncing between lows and highs, it starts off with exercise which drops my levels a bit as the exercise can go for hours at a time, i would bring my levels up with some carbs and by the next meal my blood sugar would be high again.
I would take a few units extra to account for the highs and continue with my meals.
Is this pattern is a regular thing? If so then I would drop a Unit of basel and see how you go.

Also my average is quite high before bed and around the time i take my basal? i recently have been needing to take a few extra units of fast acting insulin to bring it down which is bugging me.
All the exercise seems pointless in this situation and I am hoping to find a way around it.
Correcting is fine for some people but to do a short acting for corrections is not good for you as you are already on low doses.
Also i am on 17 units of Lantus at 9PM and anywhere between 3-10 units of Humalog during Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
Have you tried splitting the Lantus dose and take it in 12 hours apart? As this will give a smoother basel profile. With the Lantus, They say it is a 24 hour insulin but to many is not what many Diabetics would think.

·
Registered
39 Posts

What do you eat before you start exercising? maybe you are no eating the right carbohydrates and thus can cause problems.

It is known that hipo will be followed by hiper. What do you eat when you are facing hypoglycemia? It is important to know how to control it and not need to takr more insulin for that.

Iris Peleg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your posts.

Recently i would eat a piece of toast (Wholegrain) with peanut butter or something, before my toast phase i would have muesli or high carb cereal which just sent my levels through the roof and since that was my fasting meal i decided to have something else.

When i am low i normally have something quite sweet but only a little bit and only limit it to about 15-20 carbs and wait, then gradually over the next few hours my level has risen to about 11.5 even if exercise is included?

I was concidering counting carbs with the 1:6 thingy, maybe that would help a lot

·
Registered
39 Posts
suggestions

Recently i would eat a piece of toast (Wholegrain) with peanut butter or something, before my toast phase i would have muesli or high carb cereal which just sent my levels through the roof and since that was my fasting meal i decided to have something else.
don't eat peanut butter before excercise since it make the glucose absorption very very slow and than you get hypo.

When i am low i normally have something quite sweet but only a little bit and only limit it to about 15-20 carbs and wait, then gradually over the next few hours my level has risen to about 11.5 even if exercise is included?
you meal should include sugars as well as full carbs/ The sugars will raise your bloode level fast and the full carbs will makr sure it will last. Can't understand if that's what you are having

Iris Peleg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts