The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been off my insulin for almost 2 weeks. My fasting #s have been in mid 80's to low 80's . I dont skip meals and they're all low Carb. Problem is I get dizzy and shakey during the day. When I can check, my numbers are in 70s and 80s! When that happens .Can those numbers be too low for me? I also exercise about 2 hours a day

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
are you on any other drugs?

how long have your numbers that good? If its only been a couple of weeks since you were in the 200s than yes 70 will feel low

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't been in 200 since first week of diagnosis, I haven't seen higher than 130 in over a month! I am on 1000 metformin still but I do take 2 meds for BP but just got off another last week, im at 93 lb loss since April also

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Larry, congrats on the accomplishment of getting off insulin and huge weight loss! I can't wait until I get to that point! 70's and 80's keep me feeling shaky as well. It could be those numbers are just slightly too low for you. Try having a light snack that has perhaps 1 serving of carb (15 grams or less) and see if that helps. Are these lows happening 1 or 2 hours after meals? I would just try adding a light snack, perhaps some nuts or an apple. That might help your situation. Congrats on your accomplishments though. That is so inspiring!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks nay nay, I'll try keeping something with me, always seems to happen when I'm not home, lately though, after I exercise . You can make it happen, my doc is pretty amazed, I was only on insulin less than 6 months, so you can do it!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I doubt if low blood sugar is an issue. Those are excellent numbers, nowhere near "low". If they are happening AFTER eating, adding some carbs could very likely make them go lower when your body responds to it. The less carbs you eat, the less your BG swings between low and high. Without the stress of incoming glucose to your bloodstream, your body - yes even our impaired systems as T2s - are able to maintain BG exactly where it should be.

Are you eating enough? I would look there first. There is no need for ANY carbohydrates to feel energetic and have the vitality you need, but you DO have to eat enough food. Have you ever checked how many calories (for lack of a better measure) you eat in a typical day?

Protein is essential for cell repair and some of it may be converted to glucose for the 5% of your cells which must have it. Other than that, the only substitute for carbs in terms of cellular energy (ATP) is good natural fats. If you cut carbs from your diet, it is essential to get enough of those to take their place (9g of carbs = 4g of fat).

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks smorgan, great info, I do have to make sure I get enough calories, its been tough! I've been so focused on short term success, I have to look bigger picture! I can never go back to the way I ate before

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Even though those bgs are not low our diabetic bodies are not comfortable at those levels. I've been D for 4.5 years and I still get those feelings. Actually my body usually doesn't let me go much below the high 90's before my liver kicks in with extra glucose raising me 10-20 points. What I usually do when I get those feelings is to have a small low carb snack. Also you may want to check your BP on these occasions. Since you lost so much weight you may need to lower some medications. I used to have marginal high BP in the high 120's and now it is in the low 100's, so sometimes it gives me those symptoms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts