The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the health food store and checked out their low carb section and found a flax and snax cinnamon nut granola. It looked like I'd be able to get away with a tiny cup of cereal.... or not. My sugar readings afterwards did not match what I expected. I did a search and found that netrition.com has decided not to carry any products by that company because the labels don't match what their independent lab report said (which they did because of complaints by customers).

Has anyone else encountered lying labels similar to this? Isnt' it frustrating!

:mad:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It is extremely frustrating. I was all excited about Dreamfield's pasta until I found out your bg stays pretty low 1 and 2 hrs. after eating it, but up to 4 to 6 hrs. later it spikes most people just as much as regular pasta. :Cry:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is extremely frustrating. I was all excited about Dreamfield's pasta until I found out your bg stays pretty low 1 and 2 hrs. after eating it, but up to 4 to 6 hrs. later it spikes most people just as much as regular pasta. :Cry:
Yeah it totally sucks!!! Big Meanies!!! :(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree with both of you. I was surprised to know that Splenda has so many carbs in 1 cup when the danged label says <1 (but guess it was my fault for not paying attention to the serving size). The manufacturers of these products are after all, wanting to sell us something :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worst part is that I am newly diagnosed and struggling to get my numbers to stay in a good range and thought initially I did something wrong or that there was some weird ingredient that effected me differently than anyone else.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There isn't no weird ingredient......it is the mfg that wants to grab some more of your hard earned cash, so they make it attractive - never mind if they tell the truth or not :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the best choice is to try and make as much from scratch as possible. Good thing I enjoy experimental cooking. I've finally got all the ingredients to be Optimist's crackers. Whole foods opened nearby and they have the Psyllium Husks :D

Also I am experimenting with a low carb bread which was actually an accident. It was supposed to be muffins but, I realized it tasted like multi-grain bread. I've got to figure out the carb count though because I threw in some pecans and didn't measure it out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You know what else I'm skeptical about? The online nutrition information from restaurant chains. I eat at Panera Bread every Friday with a lunch group and I carefully choose what I'm going to order before I get there. Then, when I order, the serving looks HUGE. Same with Applebee's.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know what else I'm skeptical about? The online nutrition information from restaurant chains. I eat at Panera Bread every Friday with a lunch group and I carefully choose what I'm going to order before I get there. Then, when I order, the serving looks HUGE. Same with Applebee's.
Yeah eating at restaurants is very difficult for me. Particularly since a lot throw bread, chips, or free ice cream at you (thanks a lot SuperSalad place).

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm not sure what your labels have to have on them...I know ours here in Australia they have a number for the serving size and another for 100gms. I always look straight at the 100gms and that way it's more likely I won't get tricked.

Plus I guess the other thing that comes with time is a basic knowledge of what a type of product has in carbs...if it seems too good to be true...it usually is...be suspicious....

But don't be too hard on yourself...we all have to learn...the best way to learn is to experiment :)...

Reactions: annsrum

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts

i hear you. thats why i dont bother eating out.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think this is why we all have to test individual foods and not take anything for granted. There are some foods that are higher carb like sweet potatoes that I can eat and be in the low 100's while there are low carb tortillas that are 5 carbs that spike me to 140. Many of us tend to be sensitive to processed ingredients in some of these things. I do think that is why so many of us have gone to cooking from scratch. MCS's makes several types of granola cereals that are fantstic, check out the Low Carb Recipe forum. I make my own english muffins and bagels from flaxseed and almond meal which make my bgs go down not up. My husband likes to travel a lot and that means eating out every meal which poses a problem for me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Worst part is that I am newly diagnosed and struggling to get my numbers to stay in a good range and thought initially I did something wrong or that there was some weird ingredient that effected me differently than anyone else.
I did the same thing - trying one thing & another to get the right combination - and finally as I was beginning to realize about cutting carbs, I staggered into a forum & found confirmation of it. That was a major relief!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went to the health food store and checked out their low carb section and found a flax and snax cinnamon nut granola. It looked like I'd be able to get away with a tiny cup of cereal.... or not. My sugar readings afterwards did not match what I expected. I did a search and found that netrition.com has decided not to carry any products by that company because the labels don't match what their independent lab report said (which they did because of complaints by customers).

Has anyone else encountered lying labels similar to this? Isnt' it frustrating!

As Strawberry said, Splenda is my pet peeve.
My new cereal is a small amount of Special K Protein Plus. I measure it then mash it up. I add a little flax meal, a few pecans, 3 blueberries, a littte Splenda and lots of cinnamon. I found out the milk was spiking me so changed to unsweetened almond milk and it was not like milk to me.....so I add a splash of heavy cream to the almond milk. It is awesome and works for me so far.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too have switched to unsweetened almond milk, but I add a packet of the evil splenda. :)

I am cutting carbs but still new to figuring out how many carbs are in things and which ones I can and cannot handle.

Particularly I seem to be very sensitive to carbs in the morning. Something that might not spike me much later in the day seems to be a problem in the morning. Plus my sugar always seems to inch up in the night. Very annoying.

Even when I am watching carbs I still am having a hard time figuring out how many carbs are in things. I'll think I've figured it out and then my sugar spikes up. Or a sugar alcohol effects me like it is sugar.

Also so far I still cannot seem to get the sugars lower than around 120 and really 120 is rare. It still seems to want to hang out in the 130-150 range.

I have found that exercise that gets my heart rate up does get my sugars to go lower. Walking helps a little but not as much. I could probably increase my number of days of exercise. That's my next experiment. Feel like a guinea pig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts