The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was 112 at 6:30 am. went shopping no breakfast. did have my usal 2 mug's of coffee with coffeemate creamer, I didn't have any more heavy cream. came home my ### jumped to 157. :eek:

Had to be the lousy creamer.:mad:

I made my own.
Almond Joy.. 1cup canned coconut milk
1&1/2T cocoa unsweet
1/4 t or so shot of stevia or to taste
1/2t almond extrac
warm in sauce pan. then in the fridge to cool & keep.

CinnABun
1cup coconut milk (oh I use thai brand sugarF I get at wal mart)
3/4t or so really really good cinnamon.
1/2t almond ex.
1tpure vanilla.
just mix. then store in fridge

Pumpkin Spice
1cup cocanut milk
2T pumpkin
1/2t or so pumpkin pie spice
1t or so pure vanilla.
mix & store in fridge

Plain ole french Vanilla
1cup coconut milk
sweetner
1T or so pure vanilla.
mix. store in fridge
I also added coconut ex to this :p

No more powdered creamers for me. :pout:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
While convenient, those powders are GROSS!

Glad you found an alternative.

I use cream + almond milk (I like mine au lait) or coconut cream. If I want it sweet -- usually do not -- I add Torani or DaVinci syrup.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I wouldn't automatically attribute spike to the creamer. Many times if I don't eat right away and just drink coffee ( black) my bg will spike like that from DP or liver dumps. Your recipes do sound great, though. Are you using canned Coconut Milk or the kind in the carton?

Reactions: NotBubba

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use the full fat canned Coconut Milk in a lot of my soups. It makes them tast sooo good. Just look at the label for carbs, all brands are different.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think coconut milk or coconut cream is an excellent option, as long as they haven't been sweetened or de-fatted. I have a heckuva time finding coconut cream though - except the bartending kind which is heavily sweetened. :( Those non-dairy creamers are horrible & if you haven't seen the rest of the story, watch this!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was 112 at 6:30 am. went shopping no breakfast. did have my usal 2 mug's of coffee with coffeemate creamer, I didn't have any more heavy cream. came home my ### jumped to 157. :eek:

Had to be the lousy creamer.:mad:
Yeah, what is it about CoffeeMate? I've had the same thing happen. I do tend to put quite a bit in my coffee (the s/f vanilla caramel is awesome), but even so, the carb count isn't any more than maybe 3 or 4. So why the jump? Odd and frustrating... :mad:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yeah, what is it about CoffeeMate? I've had the same thing happen. I do tend to put quite a bit in my coffee (the s/f vanilla caramel is awesome), but even so, the carb count isn't any more than maybe 3 or 4. So why the jump? Odd and frustrating... :mad:
I think many of the non-dairy creamers are loaded with corn products which can deliver a swift & hard spike. Corn syrup solids are just cornstarch treated with enzymes, and of course corn sugar is the new name for the deadly high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

I switched to heavy dairy cream & haven't looked back. It helps get the fat in my LCHF way-of-eating & it tastes terrific!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heavy cream is so much better tasting. Why not use one of the s/f vanilla and caramel mix with it?
Ya know, that's exactly what I did initially...cream and DaVinci s/f syrup. Tasty. Couldn't leave well enough alone, saw the CoffeeMate (are we allowed to use brand names in these posts?) at the store and figured it should be da bomb. el-WRONGO...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I was 112 at 6:30 am. went shopping no breakfast. did have my usal 2 mug's of coffee ...
Well, if your mug was one of these, I can see why 2 mugs with enough coffeemate would spike ya:

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I just went shopping because I needed more Cocounut Milk. It was the
"A Taste of Thai" brand and it said unsweetened on the front. It was 2 carbs for 1/3 of a cup. I usually buy my heavy cream by the 1/2 gallon and use it in everything.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just went shopping because I needed more Cocounut Milk. It was the
"A Taste of Thai" brand and it said unsweetened on the front. It was 2 carbs for 1/3 of a cup. I usually buy my heavy cream by the 1/2 gallon and use it in everything.
1/2 gal :jaw: $$$$$$$$. I buy a pint ($4.50) at a time & its almost to thick to pour out in a couple days lol.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
1/2 gal :jaw: $$$$$$$$. I buy a pint ($4.50) at a time & its almost to thick to pour out in a couple days lol.
I usually buy heavy cream by the quart myself. And it's about $5 give-or-take where I am.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm lucky if I can find a pint container of it at our store. They do have 'tons' of the liquid coffee creamer and a whole slew of the powdered stuff. I gave up drinking coffee because of the spikes from the powdered creamers. I will give this recipe a try......thank you for sharing :)

Reactions: Carolina
1 - 16 of 16 Posts