The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What are your bgs when you wake up, and 2 hours after meals. Start testing at these times and little by little take away the carbs in your meals until you get normal bgs. This is called , Eating to your meter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jwags said:
What are your bgs when you wake up, and 2 hours after meals. Start testing at these times and little by little take away the carbs in your meals until you get normal bgs. This is called , Eating to your meter.
Thanks for the info. I will try to do some testing. My bg is still 125.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
125 is bot bad...depending on *when it was taken* that's good for 1 hour after eating French fries, bud not so good for when you wake up or before you eat.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many diabetics experience Dawn Phenomenom in the morning. This is a natural phenomenom but since we have less insulin in the morning, our bgs tend to rise. The earlier I wake up the lower my bg is. If I sleep in my bgs tend to rise 10-20 points per hour. Also as soon as you wake up, you need to eat something small, preferably protein or fat to shut down DP. DP is similar to liver dumps. I have found upping my metformin and taking my last dose right before bed, helps. Also eating fairly low carb will lower glycogen stores so there is less glycogen to convert to glucose.

Reactions: Gizmo and foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My early morning readings, and later on my post-dinner readings, had been the most challenging to control without insulin. From what I have read that is a pretty typical pattern, too.

It helps me most not to eat after 6 pm ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Tenette,
Reduce and maintain your weight according to your height and age,
Do eat food having lots of fiber like brown rice and whole wheat bread,
Do eat more fruits and vegetables in your meals,
Dish out sweets, sodas, cakes and cookies from your diet.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...Do eat food having lots of fiber like brown rice and whole wheat bread, Do eat more fruits and vegetables in your meals,
Many diabetics find they simply CANNOT eat brown rice, whole-wheat bread, etc. For me, I can eat up to 1 piece of sprouted-grain bread at a time (12g net carb, after fiber) but NO other grains without spiking.

Ditto to fruit. The best fruits for diabetics are lower-glycemic fruits such as berries and cherries in limited quantities. Never, ever eat dried fruits.

Always test to your meter to determine what you can/cannot eat in your diabetic diet.

Reactions: Patdart and Shanny

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Don't eat anything white or man made, processed foods

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for all your advices. I am overwhelmed by all your suggestions. I will try to eat less of carbs and sweets.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks a lot for all your advices. I am overwhelmed by all your suggestions. I will try to eat less of carbs and sweets.
I eat alot of meat, cheese and eggs, I have no spikes eating these foods and I do not need to take any insulin to cover these foods. Certain nuts are good for a small snack, I wish I could digest nuts properly. If you try and eat low carb foods, I think you will be happy with the results. Good luck and take care!

·
Registered
137 Posts
If it's available from online or other sources in your area you might benefit from the book 'The Diabetes Solution' by Bernstein.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the important thing as a diabetic is to find alternate ways to make treats that won't raise our bgs. Check out our recipe forum. A couple of times a week I will make a batch of low carb blueberry muffins and a big pan of bar cookies. I use Coconut Oil and Almond flour and flaxseed. The combination makes fantastic baked goods that actually lower my bgs. Since diabetes is for life we have to learn to cook in away that helps our bgs. Low Carb/High Fat is the way to go. Most days I eat between 30-50 carbs and my bgs will be 80-95 most mornings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts