The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a diabetic (guess I should say low carb) cookbook for my own use. I will tell you how I am doing it and if you want to make one, maybe you will find some of this helpful. But I am really looking to see how others handle their recipes so I can hopefully pick up some tips (Plus I'm curious. OK, I'm nosey).

I use a loose leaf notebook with page protectors. In the front I keep the recipes that are as good as I can make them. In the back are recipes I want to try or modify. When I try a new recipe and it is beyond hope, it goes in the circular file. If something is pretty good, but needs to be tweaked, I write below the recipe what the problem was and what adjustments I want to try next time I make it.

I know some store recipes online or on their pc, which is probably easiest, but I have a desktop computer in a spare bedroom, so that isn't convenient for me when cooking. Besides, my pc crashed a while back and I lost everything. Don't want to take the chance of that happening with my recipes, although I do use the computer to print out the recipes, and keep them in a folder on my computer. But I also have a hard copy that I use when cooking.

·
Registered
741 Posts
fantastic idea...I cook a lot with my disabled son and he is messy...so we laminate recipes...but plastic sleeves work too :) great idea!

i need to go through a few recipes to make them more people friendly...I tend to just ummm 'play' until things work...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use Index Cards. Whenever someone posts a recipe that seems good , I write it on a card and put it in my recipe box. I also will print up some recipes and cut or fold it to fit in the box. It is amazing how quick you fill up the boxes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got at least two cookbooks that boasted diabetic. They weren't. Full of carbs. Live and learn.

I find your idea excellent! :)

In my kitchen I have a folder of all my family's best liked recipes. I have more and more low carb recipes in there. If the house ever catches on fire it will be very easy to grab :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I archive recipes on the computer but print out the "active" ones I refer to often and keep them in a folder in the kitchen. I also make notes on the pages if there is anything in need of tweaking for next time.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I took some important recipes and printed them out, cut holes with a 3 hole cutter and slipped them in plastic sheets from Sam's or such place. Placed them in a binder to keep handy. Think I may do the same with ones I make and really like so as not to lose them in the event of hard drive problems. I also keep all the really good ideas in a folder on my hard drive in a folder I call Recipes.

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are able to find/create some recipes using pumpkin or squash, please share with the class...LOL! Fall is in the horizon, and since we are new diabetics at our house, I would love to be able to make some yummy fall foods using these! Thanks!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you haven't visited our recipe board yet, you'll find a few things there. The winter squash that we get a lot of mileage with is spaghetti squash. It's good with only butter/salt/pepper, and it's good if you want to add alfredo sauce or marinara. The other ones like acorn, butternut, etc., are pretty much interchangeable with pumpkin, if you're baking pies, breads, etc. I have a pumpkin soup recipe around here somewhere & I don't think I've posted it on the forum, so I'll get busy & go find it. ;)

Welcome to DF.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome! Yes, I LOVE spaghetti squash, but have been afraid to make it (I make it with butter/salt/pepper only) because the dietician made me scared to eat any of the winter squashes. I will definitely be checking out the recipe boards...and would LOVE a pumpkin soup recipe! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I often will stuff butternut or acorn squash. I usually cut in half and cook 1/2 way and then make up a stuffing of sauteed mushrooms, sausage, onions and other good stuff and put in the center and finish baking.

Another good recipe I do with butternut squash is to cube it and roast it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. Then I put it in a food processor with a little chicken broth, herbs and a little canned chipolte. Just blend and you have something that is so much better than mashed potatoes.

I also use the canned pumpkin in soups. I make a sweet potato/pumpkin bisque. I dice onions, red peppers, celery and onions and saute them in Coconut Oil. Then I chop up several sweet potatoes and saute them. I then add some vegetable or chicken broth and a can of pureed pumpkin. Simmer for about an hour until everything is soft. Then take an immersion blender and blend all veggies until smoothe. Then in a magic bullet blender I mix peanut butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and a can of coconut milk and hot sauce. Add to the soup and blend until hot. This soup is so filling and my bgs love it. If you want you can add some meat. I often add chicken or chicken sausage. I usually saute and add at the end.

Reactions: d33na and moon

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Awesome! Yes, I LOVE spaghetti squash, but have been afraid to make it (I make it with butter/salt/pepper only) because the dietician made me scared to eat any of the winter squashes. I will definitely be checking out the recipe boards...and would LOVE a pumpkin soup recipe! Thanks!
Winter squash can be a little carby for some people, but it's pretty high fiber too . . . sometimes we can strike a delicate balance! ;)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see people are interested in a cookbook for preventing diabetes. My wife wrote a cookbook Veggie Power Burgers that meets all the recommendations for reversing Type II...

When I consistently eat veggie power patties for breakfast my weight drops and so does my blood pressure... the fiber content of the burgers and low glycemic index foods are fantastic. 28 of the 30 burgers are vegan.

The burgers are very close to Dr. Joel Fuhrman's diet.

For more info on the cookbook Google veggie power burgers. Very good FAQ section too.
A cookbook for preventing Diabetes wouldn't help us out since we already have Diabetes. But I'm pretty sure there is no way to prevent it. I know that a vegan diet won't do it because some members have been vegan for years and still got it. There are also some members who were vegetarians, did lots of exercise and were not overweight, and still came down with it.

There is no such thing as reversing type 2. You can control it with diet, exercise and sometimes medicine, but there is no cure.

I did some reading online about Veggie Power Burgers. It sounds like one of the ingredients is beans. Most of us Diabetics can't eat beans because they spike our bg too much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gizmo-I use MasterCook software which I use because it has a nutrition function so i can make changes and immediately see the carb change. Then print the page in various formats. The Nutritiondata website I use to store frequently-used recipes to make menus that are well-balanced for nutrients and at about 30 g carbs per day. I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein's recommendations from his books Diabetes Diet and Diabetes Solution, both with recipes ranging from 0-12 g carbs per serving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts