The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I have bought a product, where the sugar has been replaced by the sweetener maltitol. The label says 36 gr carbs per 100 gr, of which 3 gr sugars. So do I need to count the full amount of carbs, or do you think they don't affect our BG? I'm a little confused here. I know one can deduct polyoles from the total amount of carbs, but how about maltitol?

J

·
0 Posts
I've been told by my endo to always just count carbs. So if you were to use 100 gr's of the product, then count 36 gr of carbs., or any variable thereof. So if you use 50 gr's of the product, then count half, or 18 gr. of carbs. At least that's how I would count it per my endo, and his nurse.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been told by my endo to always just count carbs. So if you were to use 100 gr's of the product, then count 36 gr of carbs., or any variable thereof. So if you use 50 gr's of the product, then count half, or 18 gr. of carbs. At least that's how I would count it per my endo, and his nurse.
Hi John,

thanks for your input. I have always counted the carbs in maltitol as well. I was googling yesterday and I discovered that maltitol doesn't affect your blood glucose, so you shouldn't count the carbs, except for the amount of sugar. So know I'm even more confused :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi,

I have bought a product, where the sugar has been replaced by the sweetener maltitol. The label says 36 gr carbs per 100 gr, of which 3 gr sugars. So do I need to count the full amount of carbs, or do you think they don't affect our BG? I'm a little confused here. I know one can deduct polyoles from the total amount of carbs, but how about maltitol?
you should see whats in before eating it!

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/lilyman/product-detailZMpJWiqoHGUg/China-Maltitol-Powder.html

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
18 Posts
read whats in it before you eat it!!!! who cares about the carbs if the crap has this stuff in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Items SPEC RESULTS
Characteristics A white, crystalline powder with a sweet taste Pass
Identification Conforms Pass
D-SorbitolD- ≤0.5% Pass
Melting range 140-151 degree Pass
Maltitol ≥98.0% 98.5%
Reducing Sugars ≤0.15% 0.04%
D-Sorbitol ≤1.0% 0.35%
Specific optical rotation +105.5-+108.5 +105.8
Arsenic ≤1ppm <1ppm
Nickel ≤1ppm <1ppm
Lead ≤1ppm <1ppm
Sulphate ≤50ppm <50ppm
Chloride ≤50ppm <50ppm
Sulphated Ash ≤0.1% 0.04%
Water ≤1.0% 0.4%
Total Germs ≤1000/g 100/g
E. Coli Not detection

·
Registered
663 Posts
meurtelken, I look at this way, This stuff that says X amount of Carbohydrates then look in a book that says how much carbs that is in sugar. I see not much difference. I look at the natural product. If you feel bad in having too may carbs.... Walk! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Solving the Maltitol Mystery

I've been confused, as well, about the truth behind Maltitol and other sugar alcohols. For anyone who's equally confused, I think the info on David Mendosa's site (Net Carbs) helps to shed light on this issue. I was experiencing significantly increased meter readings after eating sugar free ice cream and chocolates, sweetened with Maltitol. It turns out that Maltitol has a very high glycemix index -- as high as bread or pasta! So, that's enough for me -- no more maltitol.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've been confused, as well, about the truth behind Maltitol and other sugar alcohols. For anyone who's equally confused, I think the info on David Mendosa's site (Net Carbs) helps to shed light on this issue. I was experiencing significantly increased meter readings after eating sugar free ice cream and chocolates, sweetened with Maltitol. It turns out that Maltitol has a very high glycemix index -- as high as bread or pasta! So, that's enough for me -- no more maltitol.
Boy - does it ever! Thanks loads for posting this, Starlynx! This chart about halfway down Mendosa's article is especially helpful!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Maltitol is not for me. Spikes me to #@$! and back. Despite owning several low-carb cook books that use it! :eek:

Only sugar alcohol I use is erythritol. There is also a Wikipedia article which explains sugar alcohols quite well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohols

"As an exception, erythritol is actually absorbed in the small intestine and excreted unchanged through urine, so it has no side effects at typical levels of consumption.[1][5]"

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Erythritol is my choice for granulated. As other sweeteners go, I also use concentrated liquid sucralose and plain old liquid saccharine, since erythritol gives a little pinch to my pocketbook.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Erythritol is my choice for granulated. As other sweeteners go, I also use concentrated liquid sucralose and plain old liquid saccharine, since erythritol gives a little pinch to my pocketbook.
I buy erythritol online, in bulk -- and it lasts me b/c I use HALF what recipes call for. And sometimes my husband still complains things are too sweet!

Kinda interesting because the bulk of the Stevia sweetener I buy is also E. But they cannot sell Stevia/Erythritol in bulk, for some fool reason?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I've been getting the pound bags from Netrition . . . who is your online vendor?
It has been so long, I think that is where I got it ... but I might've gone thru Amazon marketplace, too!

Just looked it up on Amazon and yup, the Now Foods 3fer deal is what I got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts