The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

Vetmeduni Vienna : Press release 06-21-2013 - Man

06-21-2013 - People have an innate need to establish close relationships with other people. But this natural bonding behaviour is not confined to humans: many animals also seem to need relationships with others of their kind. For domesticated animals the situation is even more complex and pets may enter deep relationships not only with conspecifics but also with their owners. Scientists at the University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna (Vetmeduni Vienna) have investigated the bond between dogs and their owners and have found striking similarities to the parent-child relationship in humans. Their findings are published in the journal PLOS ONE.

Domestic dogs have been closely associated with humans for about 15,000 years. The animals are so well adapted to living with human beings that in many cases the owner replaces conspecifics and assumes the role of the dog’s main social partner. The relationship between pet owners and dogs turns out to be highly similar to the deep connection between young children and their parents.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Having a dog, I figured that out awhile ago.

Reactions: VeeJay

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tim & David already know what I know, and what every dog lover knows: All dogs want is to love and be with their masters.

We just came home from two weeks on the road, having left both dog and cat in a kennel with people (our vet and his staff) who spoil them rotten. But once we got them back home yesterday, they're all over us . . . they can't get close enough.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Our dog is a rescue. He's much more attached to DH than me, but certainly recognizes me as an alpha. Or possibly on the same level. He listens when I tell him to sit or stay. He plays with me and I with him. I love him to bits!! He's a keeper. But yes, he's also a third child who never will grow up.

image-215234811.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts