The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it really has become a chore.

over the last few weeks, my portions have gotten smaller and smaller. i just have no desire to eat and only do so to avoid hypo's.

even my beloved swiss cheese is losing its appeal

:(

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
*hug*

Have you thought of maybe seeing a doctor? Maybe there is something wrong. Total lack of appetite is usually a signal that something might be off somewhere.

G

·
ah not good to hear :( food is here to be enjoyed remember. Don't let this disease make you think and feel differently about your food. I agree with Pam, maybe you need to seek some professional help for that.
And if it makes you feel any better... man, I really hate being sick. lol (actually I'm serious I shouldn't laugh) I'm on a few drugs to try and make me feel better... one of them is supposed to affect my appetite too. It started doing that last week... now this week I'm on anti-nausea meds to counteract the other drug... I'm on about 3 drugs for my stomach... I've been getting mixed signals... mostly not hungry, but I eat anyhow to avoid the hypos as you say... so I can relate somewhat. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts

over the last few weeks, my portions have gotten smaller and smaller. i just have no desire to eat and only do so to avoid hypo's.

Yuppers. I can really relate to that. I used to love to eat and meals were a pleasure. Now, with the need for obsessive monitoring, concerns about weight, and worries about blood glucose scores, I am disliking the whole enterprise. Some days I feel like tossing out my meter, ignoring the risks, and ordering a pizza.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yuppers. I can really relate to that. I used to love to eat and meals were a pleasure. Now, with the need for obsessive monitoring, concerns about weight, and worries about blood glucose scores, I am disliking the whole enterprise. Some days I feel like tossing out my meter, ignoring the risks, and ordering a pizza.
Been there, done that :) I think everyone goes through periods like that. I, unfortunately, went through a long period like that and now have the complications to prove it *sigh*. I agree that it can be difficult to be diabetic and maintain a healthy relationship with food. Let's face it, we all need food to survive. Also, many social activities revolve around food. And honestly, girl scout cookies are pretty darn tasty! No matter what type you are, no matter how you are treating your disease, we all have to come to grips with the fact that care-free eating days are just gone. Its a sad fact. Even if you are really well controlled with insulin, you still have to account for each and every carb you put in your mouth. You cant just grab something, pop it in your mouth and go. If you are controlled with oral meds, or no meds and exercise, you have to account for what you are eating and plan for it. The good thing is..I think it really does get easier as time goes by. I dont have nearly the difficulties that I had even a few years ago. I am more disciplined now and that comes with time I think. I have long since stopped looking at food as the enemy. The enemy is this dragon within me that I must tend to :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yo Man, thats some thing strange..:confused:how can you not eat! I wish it happens to me..show me food, caution flies away through the window. However I have learnt to portion control and low cal land low carb my diet but cannot live without food..say, why dont you come here, I'll definitely find something YOU will like to eat!.:D:D.jokes apart..you should come out of lows.:ranger:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree that it can be difficult to be diabetic and maintain a healthy relationship with food.
What a great way to put that! Simple sentence, simple idea, profound impact on me. Thank you!
:amen:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I tend to get bored with the same food choices. That is when I hit all the recipe forums and start baking up some D friendly treats. I hate to say it but every once in awhile I do go out and have a cheat meal, just to break the boredom. I would second the opinion that maybe you should discuss this with your doctor. I know here the weather is rainy and cold and just utterly depressing and makes you want to crawl under a blanket and just sleep. It could be some kind of seasonal depression or some other cause besides diabetes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I tend to get bored with the same food choices. That is when I hit all the recipe forums and start baking up some D friendly treats. I hate to say it but every once in awhile I do go out and have a cheat meal, just to break the boredom. I would second the opinion that maybe you should discuss this with your doctor. I know here the weather is rainy and cold and just utterly depressing and makes you want to crawl under a blanket and just sleep. It could be some kind of seasonal depression or some other cause besides diabetes.
I totally agree with this..we do get bored with the same routine, and may be its all seasonal depression! My problem is I cannot believe anybody else except my own cooking, not even my mom"s.:( Though she is a diabetic she smuggles some regular sugar in to dishes she makes..:eek:.its all the more depressing to quarrel with an old lady, whether I am tired or not I cook some thing to keep the meter ticking.:ranger:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Part of disliking meals is the need to plan them way ahead; eating but planning the next meal to get enough calories; eating just to keep from losing more weight, not for appetite or enjoyment........

·
Registered
261 Posts
Man I can relate to that.
Just the other day I was telling my SO that I'm so tired of eating when I don't really want to which is quite often it seems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For me the problem is finding a place I can trust to supply me with food as I am a Low carb + diabetic Even if the server can comprehend "diabetic" he thinks that a baked potato is lo-carb (No Mongo, we don't all believe the standard diet is good:eek:) and beverages - wouldnt be the first diet drink that wasn't (courtesy of "clinistix")

·
Registered
161 Posts
OK.... You are all probably going to hate me for this so I am going to state this works for me so I am only sharing what works for me... You need to do what works best for you.

I eat carbs :eek: I will not Hijack your thread so look for my new post but, I do want to give you some suggestions if you do not mind

1- Slow Cooker- I love nothing more then when I find a great recipe that smells great when I get home. I toss all of the ingredients in the pot... turn it on and then leave for a few hours... When i get home I love the small in my house.
2- Variety- Do not eat the same thing every day. try adding in an oatmeal instead of eggs for breakfast... many people can eat fruits.
3- Dont always eat alone. invite a friend over maybe even experiment with that friend.
4- Find quick easy meals... Not basic meals... But maybe a steak with a marinade that you can toss together... Here is one that I do... I know at least 1 night a week (usually Monday) I go to a sa meeting. So my meal needs to be quick... on Saturday I toss s steak in a home made marinade and seal it in a food saver bag... Come Monday I toss in in the Broiler boil some sweet Potatoes and in 15 minutes I have a great meal...

·
Registered
96 Posts
OK.... You are all probably going to hate me for this so I am going to state this works for me so I am only sharing what works for me... You need to do what works best for you.

I eat carbs Doc
Why would I hate you for being for being able to eat carbs:amen:
I will not Hijack your thread so look for my new post but, I do want to give you some suggestions if you do not mind

1- Slow Cooker- I love nothing more then when I find a great recipe that smells great when I get home. I toss all of the ingredients in the pot... turn it on and then leave for a few hours... When i get home I love the small in my house.
2- Variety- Do not eat the same thing every day. try adding in an oatmeal instead of eggs for breakfastOnly a little pinhead oatmeal... many people can eat fruits.
3- Dont always eat alone. invite a friend over maybe even experiment with that friend.KINKY!!:D
4- Find quick easy meals... Not basic meals... But maybe a steak I LOVE Steak!!with a marinade that you can toss together... Here is one that I do... I know at least 1 night a week (usually Monday) I go to a sa meeting. So my meal needs to be quick... on Saturday I toss s steak in a home made marinade and seal it in a food saver bag... Come Monday I toss in in the Broiler boil some sweet Potatoes and in 15 minutes I have a great meal...
Sounds great Doc, I love to cook, my body just cant take much carbs.
I may sound like a real sourpus but I have had too nany liberties taken with my diet by non diabetics assuming that they KNOW what I want. But informed suggestions - that's fine:D

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

I kinda know how you feel Eric. Before the Dx I ate for pleasure/comfort and sometimes as a stress-coping mechanism... Now I see food as fuel, and look at eating from a much more functional aspect.

It's especially difficult as I notice from testing that I need to eat every 3 to 3.5 hours in order to avoid a liver dump that screws me up.

I think that's why I occasionally go to a comfort food like a big juicy (ok, fatty) steak with Caesar salad as opposed to a chicken breast or lettuce wrap... But even sometimes I see those as a chore.

Hoping you can feel better about it :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am too preoccupied with my weight. Instead of eating to my meter, I am eating to the scales, and that derails my efforts to control my glucose. I need to have a long talk with myself. Trouble is, nobody is listening. :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can definitely relate to what you are feeling.

I stopped eating 2 months ago, with reading well over 200, (mind over matter issue possibly for me) I could not even think of putting food in my mouth. Long story short, I started Insulin and have to eat again. I'm finding it hard, bothersome and completely unappealing.

A friend just asked me what I thought was the hardest part of being a diabetic, she thought testing and medications would be my gripe. I told her no, it's the fact that I have to "think" about Everything I put in my mouth.

Two things that have been helping me lately, is my daughter wants to learn how to cook. I jumped at the opportunity, we do it all together from the shopping to the final review of the meal. The second thing is being a dipper, lol. That means I eat steak or chicken with a bold flavor salad dressing to dip in, different varieties, etc.

Never eating alone is a good one too. It is hard especially when food turns you off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts