The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I thankful they aren't recommending we diabetics begin wholesale consumption of the product, and I'm leery that the study was funded by maple syrup producers themselves. Otherwise . . . interesting.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
As a long time consumer of maple syrup and having had the privilege of making it many times, I would also be a smidgen skeptical of a study funded by the makers of the product itself. Now if the study had been funded by an independent source - that would be a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thankful they aren't recommending we diabetics begin wholesale consumption of the product, and I'm leery that the study was funded by maple syrup producers themselves. Otherwise . . . interesting.

I actually thought that myself about the maple syrup company, but thought provoking nevertheless.

·
Registered
54 Posts
true about the sponsors, but i dont think this is aimed at selling syrup...... yet :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
The maple growers are just trying to gain ground on the honey industry which acually does have some medical benifits just not blood glucose related.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really love maple syrup! Not going to join some site to read the report, though. Could someone who has read it kindly share the gist? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I really love maple syrup! Not going to join some site to read the report, though. Could someone who has read it kindly share the gist? Thanks.
I was able to read the article (it's pretty short) without joining up. Aaaand ... now I see they've removed it from public view.

Basically, the maple grower's association released the results of a study they funded, claiming that maple syrup has many antioxidants and other nutrients that make it a beneficial food for everyone -- including diabetics trying to control their blood sugars.

They do have the grace to caution diabetics from running out to eat syrup, at least for now.

Similar claims have been made for years about honey.

Industry-funded research always invokes my Inner Skeptic, albeit she's showing up reluctantly, in this case.

So until a whole bunch of independent data comes in, I'm plotting how to make real maple-flavored syrup with real extract -- tough to find! -- and natural sweeteners.

Have no clue how to replace honey with other real foods. It might be easier to find Bigfoot, but the search is on!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they've removed the article from the site then definitely something not right?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It's still there, but now they make you sign up to read it (at least that's how it was the last I checked).

News sites do that sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would be really great if maple syrup was 100% proven to be beneficial to everyone, especially us diabetics.

Still, it's best to wait & see if there are any other studies by someone outside the maple growers' association, as Shalynne mentioned.

So for now, I'm going to take that report with a grain of salt (no pun).

I was able to read the article (it's pretty short) without joining up. Aaaand ... now I see they've removed it from public view.

Basically, the maple grower's association released the results of a study they funded, claiming that maple syrup has many antioxidants and other nutrients that make it a beneficial food for everyone -- including diabetics trying to control their blood sugars.

They do have the grace to caution diabetics from running out to eat syrup, at least for now.

Similar claims have been made for years about honey.

Industry-funded research always invokes my Inner Skeptic, albeit she's showing up reluctantly, in this case.

So until a whole bunch of independent data comes in, I'm plotting how to make real maple-flavored syrup with real extract -- tough to find! -- and natural sweeteners.

Have no clue how to replace honey with other real foods. It might be easier to find Bigfoot, but the search is on!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I tried eating real Maple Syrup with my almond flour/protein powder pancakes, and 2 measured tablespoons put me up to 7.4 (134) which is MUCH higher than I ever like to be. I try to keep my max 1hr reading at 6.5 (117), and prefer to see it under 6.0 (108)...

So no, I won't be adding real maple syrup, I'll stick with the Walden Farms stuff...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My type 2 husband uses the real stuff, but he never tests bg after meals. I like the Walden Farms strawberry syrup, so I will stick with that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I do use the smallest drizzle of honey or real maple syrup when cooking: steak, burgers, pork chops, salmon etc... I find that a very small amount of the "real stuff" can still add flavour without adding too many carbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts