The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! My husband has been on the forum for many years and after last night, I decided to join. Maybe someone out there can help me. Once in awhile, his blood sugar drops really low. At first I just thought he was acting silly. We would laugh and play until I realized it was more than just silliness. He seemed as if he would start to lack good judgment. I have learned after a couple of these episodes that this behavior was due to his sugar becoming extremely low. I thought we had come to an understanding that when I decide we need to check his sugar, he would allow me to do so but last night he kept insisting he was fine, laughing at me as if I was the crazy one, and wouldn't let me check his sugar. I threatened to call 911 but he didn't seem to care. I got so frustrated I locked myself in the bedroom. I forced him to sleep in the sofa and this morning he said I should have called. He also told me to do some research about low blood sugar so I will know what to do in the future. What do I do with a 200 lb man who acts "silly"? Should I just always assume he is low? How do I know if he is just playing?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If he refuses to check, that is a good sign that he is low...
ans YES you should have called 911
This NOT something to fool around with he can DIE by going to low. You should also have a glucagon (spelling) kit for IF he goes unconscious
Get medical advice from a Endocrinologist dont rely only on forums for info...
This behavior is life and death. If he cant tell when he goes low he could pass out, and if the blood sugar continues to go down he could DIE.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome DsRakoff. This is no joke. You should call 911 whenever there's any doubt and you shouldn't take it personally. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you for joining us. I hope we can help you understand more about this.

take care,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I just spoke to my husband and he says he has one of those glycagon kits. I have been with him for four years and I didn't even know about it. When he is acting silly and playful and I start to get the idea that his sugar is low and not just playing with me, should I just get him a glass of juice or is there something else I should give him?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Low Blood Sugars can be Dangerous

You should be sure to research hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Some diabetics can even encounter "diabetic rage" from lows.

I invented a device for low blood sugar while driving. I could use your help, if you have time. Please Google Drive Safe Glucose, then go to our website and fill out the survey, "Driving with Diabetes".

Diabetic auto crashes are on the rise. Each year hundreds of people die from low blood glucose levels while driving. Since it will make it painless for diabetics (especially juvenile diabetics) to monitor their glucose levels with the Drive Safe GM™, this product will save lives and enhance traffic safety for everyone.

I hope your husband learns to manage his diabetes better.

Bill Cross

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
If you handed him a couple of glucose tablets, or some candy, would he eat them? That would raise his blood sugar enough that he would then be sensible enough to test and take the right steps to get back on course. It does not seem he becomes physically violent, like some diabetics do during bad hypos. That is good for your safety.

If your husband wore a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) he could see his glucose level any time he wants. He could see a low developing and do something about before he reaches the silly stage. That is the way my Dexcom CGM is working for me. A CGM is very expensive but if his doctor realizes the importance of it for your husband, then your insurance company might cover all the expenses. I am assuming you have health insurance.

Richard

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thank you both. I just spoke to my husband and he says he has one of those glycagon kits. I have been with him for four years and I didn't even know about it. When he is acting silly and playful and I start to get the idea that his sugar is low and not just playing with me, should I just get him a glass of juice or is there something else I should give him?
If he won't test and you think his BS is low, try and get him to take some glucose tablets or fruit juice or part of a can of regular soda. A Glucagon kit should not be used for an occasional low BS. Most of the time Glucagon is used when someone is severely hypoglycemic and is unconscious and needs the assistance of other people to help the person regain consciousness. Glucagon is extremely expensive and can make you sick after the injection. Every low BS could become severe and shouldn't be taken lightly, but if you test when low then treat accordingly, the low can be taken care of without calling 911.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi and good on you for taking an interest. My partner (of 6 years) hates it when I have a hypo, particularly when I get to the stage of telling him "I am fine, I dont need anything", etc etc etc. Once I have said (in a very annoyed fashion) ok and either done the blood test, or had the drink of juice - I begin to "see the light" and he then tells me "I told you so". I am extremely apologetic afterwards and feel dreadful.

We can become "hypo unaware" which for me occurs when I have been having a run of hypo's and my sensitivity to the symptoms has decreased. The only way I can increase my sensitivity is to have a period (sometimes a few weeks)of sustained "high" sugar levels, so then I notice when they drop. Being hypo-unaware means that occassionally I become hypo without knowing it, and my partner suffers the consequences. As much as I know this, it does not help him, or me, when I am hypo - basically as far as he is concerned I just become hard and horrible.

I am new to this forum too, so do not know if anything I will say will be helpful, but it is interesting seeing what others say.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi and good on you for taking an interest. My partner (of 6 years) hates it when I have a hypo, particularly when I get to the stage of telling him "I am fine, I dont need anything", etc etc etc. Once I have said (in a very annoyed fashion) ok and either done the blood test, or had the drink of juice - I begin to "see the light" and he then tells me "I told you so". I am extremely apologetic afterwards and feel dreadful.

We can become "hypo unaware" which for me occurs when I have been having a run of hypo's and my sensitivity to the symptoms has decreased. The only way I can increase my sensitivity is to have a period (sometimes a few weeks)of sustained "high" sugar levels, so then I notice when they drop. Being hypo-unaware means that occassionally I become hypo without knowing it, and my partner suffers the consequences. As much as I know this, it does not help him, or me, when I am hypo - basically as far as he is concerned I just become hard and horrible.

I am new to this forum too, so do not know if anything I will say will be helpful, but it is interesting seeing what others say.
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! I suffer from some hypo unawareness too. I don't get hard and horrible. I need to go below 45 before I get any hypo symptoms. I usually just get a little light headed and my hands shake, by then I am getting my meter out and yep, I am low. I don't get worried or excited about going low anymore, I just take some glucose tablets and go on about my business. Feel free to say whatever is on your mind, you never know that something you might say will be helpful to someone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts